Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? >

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Second have you ever seen a child of that age shot a 12 gauge shotgun by themselves and not be either picked up off the ground or so sore that they can not move their arms.
My son was shooting a 308 Winchester at 6 years old and started shooting a 30-06 at 8. This year he got a deer with the 30-06 at age 9. No problem at all. Last weekend I let him shoot my 300 Weatherby Magnum and he was begging for more. He was shooting it off of shooting sticks and was hitting beer cans at 75 yards with it.

I had to wait until I was 12 to hunt. I don't resent my kid for being able to do it earlier. I'm happy for him. Plus, it gave him and my father a chance to hunt together. That's an awesome thing. And he remembers his first deer at 7 years old and can tell the story in great detail. He does all the time.

A lot of petty folks. That's what it is.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

I can see the OP concern with some young kids, not being old enough mentally to kill an animal. but their Parents just want sooo bad for their kid to make his first kill, they just about do it all for them. I know some that go as far as to shoot the Deer themselves then claim their little guy bagged it. Teach you kids gun safety, and when you are sure they are ready then by all means take them out for that first kill, they will remember it the rest of their lives. Kind of reminds me of some Guided Hunts I hear about, the Guide finds the Deer, picks out the one you should shoot, sets up a rest for you to rest your rifle, the tells you to SHOOT!!! not much different..
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

So are you against women, handicapped and elderly people hunting also? I have drug and cleaned deer for people over 30 because they couldn't do either. So cleaning or dragging deer shouldn't be an issue because of age. Do you butcher your own deer also? If not the same could be said to you from people who do butcher their own deer. I personaly process my own deer. I also go as far as to make salami jerky and all the stuff like that for myself. It's all in how you are showed what to do not the age af someone.

Last edited by jim1966; 11-22-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

My son is 7yrs old and is carrying a rossi .410 this season and if he shoots and kills a deer himself, yes, i will drag it and clean it for him, and he has no problem helping me eat it. But he will defenitly get a lesson on cleaning. As far as gun saftey, he has a lil' bb gun probably like every kid does, and i make him treat it as if it was a shotgun and he knows what is and isnt right with his gun and how and where to shoot it and to look at his background when shooting. When he does get the oppurtunity to shoot at a deer, he will be shooting, not me.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Spike

What difference does it make? At least the kid will learn as they go. Arkansas just passed and age limit this season for kids. They must be at 6 years old to harvest big game. The thing that I disagree with is a 3 or 4 year old standing over a deer and the parent claims that he/she shot it all by themselves with a 270 or some big caliber rifle. I know some who fix their blinds in such a way that the kid can rest the rifle and shoot on their own.
If we are to hand down the tradition of hunting to our children, then we should be able to let our kids hunt whether or not they can drag it out or not, or even clean them, as long as they meet the age requirements of the state regulations. My kids started hunting at 14 or 15, but it was more because they just wasn't interested until around that age.
We all have our own opinions. I just wonder if maybe someone is jealous of a kid taking a nice deer?
I agree with Ballistictip...we all had to learn sometime.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

One aspect about hunting, or at least discussing it, is the pious, self-righteousness concerning methods, tactics, motivations, anything really associated with it.

You know what opinions are like and know that everyone has one.

The notion that "what is explicitly legal in the specific state/region/deer camp I hunt in is also the ONLY acceptable, ethical rhyme, reason, or policy with which to hunt for anyone/anywhere" is tedious. I was talking to someone the other day about hunting and he gave me the whole "rifles aren't REAL hunting, bow hunting is the only challenge" speil.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion of when and how involved kids should be in hunting. My personal opinion is probably somewhere in the middle here I suppose.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

The difference in learning as they go is safety...A 10 year old accidentally shot and killed his Dad this year Duck hunting in Michigan.. A very sad thing to happen.. Everyone be safe and have a Great year Hunting this year..
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Spike

This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iD-APLqUco
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Both my daughters have shot deer and I have field dressed them for them. Otherwise they may not be willing to spend time in the woods with their dad. Small price to pay to spend time with your kids and make great memories. Both of my daughters will be gone this fall. Off to college to better themselves. The oldest still comes home to deer hunt with me and the youngest will be turkey hunting with me in the spring. I would clean and drag everyone of their deer so long as they want to spend time with me. I have no problem with people who feel that if you shoot it, you take care of it. But it's my choice to do the dirty work for my kids. Both my girls are responsible hunters but there is no way they would be able to drag out a 200lbs deer. In fact there are alot of grown men who would struggle with the task.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kgkoon
I see many pictures of kids 6, 7, 8, 9 years old who have killed deer. People on my lease let their young kids kill deer. I have always had a problem with this. Why should a kid who is too young to drag a deer out of the woods and clean it, be allowed to kill that same deer? Isn't there some type of responsibility that goes with killing an animal? Doesn't this foster sloppy hunting ethics? I had to hunt with my dad WITHOUT a firearm until I was old enough to field dress a deer and clean it myself. It seems like parents today are so caught up in trying to get their kids a deer they are forgetting to teach them the basics. To me, it is nothing more than a target range if all the kid has to do is pull the trigger while daddy holds the gun steady. Any thoughts?
Why shouldnt a kid who is too young to drag a deer out of the woods and clean it be allowed to kill the same deer?

Just because the parents field dress and drag the animal out doesn't mean theyre neglecting teaching of the basics. I don't know how this would foster sloppy hunting ethics, the kids will do all that when they grow older, but until then, the parents just pick up the slack. In the end it just all depends on how you want to raise your kid as long as you're not doing anything illegal.

I hope this didnt come off caustic or argumentative, just giving you my opinion = )

Last edited by Chopayne; 03-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.