Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? >

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son shot his first deer at 7 years old. Then another two at 9. These were not from a heated blind. This was the big woods of upstate PA. The first deer was a spike. The next two were a doe and a nice 8-pointer. He helps gut and drag.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I love this one!!!

First of all as far as Im concerned... Were I hunt a 6 7 0r 8 year old prob would not be able to pull off a hunt... I dont hunt from heated shooting houses...

I watch gey gregory from the wild outdoors let his son kill deer when he was like 5 years old... All that told me was this guy is shooting deer like ducks on a pond on his 1000 plus acre petting zoo...

My son didnt kill his first deer until he was 14 years old... Out of a tree stand 20 plus feet in the air with a safty harness on... Not out of a confy ground blind with coloring books and snacks... He wasent sleeping and i woke him up to shoot a his deer...

I hear all these stories about guys on these forum with kids that are 5-10 years old shooting deer and turkey... this is not hunting!!! this is just plain killing deer nothing more...

if these people's private land went away there kids wouldnt be killing anymore lol

Sorry people... My grandmother always told me the truth hurts
Cause my 10 year old shot a deer out of a ground blind (not heated) he is just shooting and not hunting? Been out with me numerous times before and 3 days in a row to get the deer he shot he's just shooting and not hunting? He didn't have any coling books, toys or snacks eaither. Just a bottle of water.

So just cause you wouldn't give your kid a chance before he was 14 or whatever reason doesn't justify badmouthing everyone else and their kids. Or is this just another case of little man syndrome trying to be the internet bad ass?!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bhensley
Cause my 10 year old shot a deer out of a ground blind (not heated) he is just shooting and not hunting? Been out with me numerous times before and 3 days in a row to get the deer he shot he's just shooting and not hunting? He didn't have any coling books, toys or snacks eaither. Just a bottle of water.

So just cause you wouldn't give your kid a chance before he was 14 or whatever reason doesn't justify badmouthing everyone else and their kids. Or is this just another case of little man syndrome trying to be the internet bad ass?!
You would be discluded from his post because of all of the reasons you listed. Congrats to your kid.
-Jake
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Here it is for me. I see a lot of pictures of 7-8-9 year olds who have supposedly killed a deer. There "gun" is a 12 gauge shotgun sitting right next to them. First of all did the child actually take and pass a written hunter's safety course or were they given an exemption for their age? Second have you ever seen a child of that age shot a 12 gauge shotgun by themselves and not be either picked up off the ground or so sore that they can not move their arms. I have a very hard time believing those that I see. Like many I had to wait until I was 12 years old to hunt. My father had given me the family 30-30 to use BUT he took me out before hand and made sure I was able to handle it and hit what I shot at. On time he gave me his double barrel 12 gauge and let me shoot it. After the first shot and picking myself off the ground I gave it back too him. He said I would knwo when I was ready to handle that 12 gauge. Took till I was 15 but I knew then what it would do.

I agree with taking young children out with you but I still have trouble with youngsters that age being able to handle shotguns or high powered rigles with the wisdom to use them properly.

Last edited by vapahunter; 11-21-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I love this one!!!

First of all as far as Im concerned... Were I hunt a 6 7 0r 8 year old prob would not be able to pull off a hunt... I dont hunt from heated shooting houses...

I watch gey gregory from the wild outdoors let his son kill deer when he was like 5 years old... All that told me was this guy is shooting deer like ducks on a pond on his 1000 plus acre petting zoo...

My son didnt kill his first deer until he was 14 years old... Out of a tree stand 20 plus feet in the air with a safty harness on... Not out of a confy ground blind with coloring books and snacks... He wasent sleeping and i woke him up to shoot a his deer...

I hear all these stories about guys on these forum with kids that are 5-10 years old shooting deer and turkey... this is not hunting!!! this is just plain killing deer nothing more...

if these people's private land went away there kids wouldnt be killing anymore lol

Sorry people... My grandmother always told me the truth hurts
So now hunting on private lands not hunting? Just checking, i dont own any and me and my kid kill most of our deer from a combination of public and private, just wondering which ones didnt count.

Whats tougher about shooting a deer from a treestand than in a blind other than your scents 20 ft over the deers head and your out of thier line of sight? Either way your sitting on your butt waiting for a deer to show up.Matter of fact its been my experience you can get away with a lot more sitting 20 ft up than you can sitting at eye level with em.Personally sounds to me like your bitter cuz other people have things you dont and your kid had to wait till he was 14 as a result so he could get his deer the "real way".
Old 11-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Most kids I know tha tgo with there parents hunting will remember those hunts for life. I just got to help a young boy drag a trophy of a buck and I bet he will never forget a single detail of that hunt. He was 8 or 9 years old and came to our state with his father for youth deer season. Ended up killing this deer here and watched him help his dad skin it and clean it in my garage. Just burns me up when people complain about kids hunting when thats our future of hunting.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

interesting subject...heres my story...at 10 years old my uncle took me into the woods. he taught me how to be a woodsman,taught me knowledge of plants,trees,animals and survival. i never carried a gun for 2 years. at age 12 i carried a bb gun and slowly worked up from a 410 shotgun, etc. over the years..He taught me how to shoot a bow..pretty much taught me everything. In 2007 i shot my first buck with a bow..He was there to share that moment with me. I was emotional to say the least..he taught me how to hunt and respect the land, but also he taught me how to be a MAN
Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Oh yeah and the boy was hunting in a blind with his dad just a pop up and killed the buck. Scored around 155 and his dad said he was tore up worse than his boy. His dad had never killed a buck of that caliber and knows his boy had the hunt of a lifetime on a small rural private farm of about 60 acres. So yes keep those kids in the woods.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

idk if its responsible or not but from my own experience i would advise against it. I hunted with my dad until i was 15 years old, saw him take numerous deer. taught me how to gut and clean a deer. and how to hunt smart. when i turned 16 he bought me my first slug gun and sent me off to my own stand. killed a 3 pt buck and never felt so proud about anything in my life. for me the experience of being old enough to kill and clean a deer was a right of passage. It is still my proudest moment and wouldn't change anything about it. most of the kids who get their first deer at the age of 7 wont remember the experience of taking their first deer so its pointless. to me being able to pick my own spot, hunt hard all day, and take my 1st animal was the best experience of my life. This is what i would advise to any parent contemplating letting a young kid take a deer prior to being ready.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that many of you fail to realize that IF a parent was to push away a kids interest to deer hunt for years by waiting until he was 12 or 13..... the chance to get that youngster into hunting may be lost forever.

I also find it amusing that many of you seem to think that only your own personal views should apply on how kids get to hunt! The people throwing around definitions of what real "hunting" is.... well, it's pathetic! Some of you sound more like children that ANY kid I've ever hunted with!!! Some say that a small child should be subjected to frigid, brutal, uncomfortable conditions because that is "real hunting"? Others say that hunting private land isn't "real hunting".... still others think that using a guide and outfitter to hold you hand is or isn't "real hunting". I think, based on what I've read here,..... THE most important thing for most to do with their kids is keep then AWAY from the simple, shallow and closed minds found here !!!

I can't help but wonder how many of some of the anti-youth hunting attitudes found here aren't simply fueled by jealousy ?!? I mean, honestly, I know that all 3 of my kids have hunted since they were 8 years old and they clearly seem to have a deeper understanding and respect of deer/turkey hunting than many here! I'm also willing to bet that they probably have a better trophy collection than most of the anti's that have replied to this thread as well! LOL!

Here in Illinois, Hunter Education is required so all the kids passed that with perfect scores. Also, each one of my kids were born into and raised in a sporting family where deer and turney hunting is like a religion..... its what we do and who we are! Also, they have been following myself and my father through the woods since they could walk. They also have all experience with both firearms and bows and shoot year round to keep skills sharp. What I'm saying is..... I'm willing to bet that my kids now 11, 12 and 16 have probably logged FAR MORE hours practicing and stand time than the majority of people here! From habitat management projects to food plots.... they have been involved in every aspect..... how many of YOU that throw stones can say the same ?!?

I find it shameful that many here would stand in the way of promoting the sport/tradition that is rapidly dieing! Instead of helping a kid enjoy the outdoors..... push 'em to the TV and give 'em a video game instead seems to be an easier option for you guys! I bet some of you simply think that by keeping the kids out of the woods..... perhaps thats more hunting for you or it might improve your own odds at a deer. Regardless I find many or your arguments and so called "points" to be sad and pathetic, especially coming from grown men!

As someone who has dedicated many, many hours into promoting the sport and at Hunters Education classes trying to get the next generation interested in the outdoors..... I'm embarassed by many of the words I've read in some of these posts.

Quick Reply: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.