HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Changing times (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/187500-changing-times.html)

whitetaildreamer 04-08-2007 06:51 AM

Changing times

The post on "hunting with a group or hunting alone", gave me an idea for a further thread. Perhaps there are others out there that may be in the same position. When my parents moved off the the farm and into the city we still continued the hunting/fishing lifestyle. This was many years ago before hunting was seen as an industry as it is today. I clearly remember being given a.22 cal and a couple of rounds and told to, "go out behind the grainery and get a deer". Beef was money so we used venison as our main red meat. There wasn't any hunting season as far as I can remember. It was just getting meat for the cold cellar. As I got older, now a city boy, there were very few my agethat ever went hunting at all so I continued following my dad, uncle, or grandfather out...whom ever was going. As I hit my early twenties, and while at university I met and hunted with a few but to many hunting was becoming a lost art (generations of city supermarket living). I joined hunting clubs and had the few real hunting buddies that you could always count on but by the age of the late 20's, early 30's there also came children, more family responsibilies, career responsibilities etc. and keeping in touch with all but a few hunting friends became near impossible. Add on the passing of the grandfather and a dad and uncles that no longer could get out (physical disabilities), and chidren too young to hunt I once again was mainly hunting alone. It has now come full circle. My sons are at the age to hunt (bow, muzzel, and gun) so they are my new hunting groups (along with my wife that likes to get out sometimes and watch). As a teacher I have seen that a few of myson's friends are with out fathers so I've arranged for them to take hunter safety anda couple are nowsometimes coming hunting with us. I guess I'm the old man in the bush now.As for now there are times when I do have to compete with my son's new flavor of the month forhe and his friends, being in their late teens, seem to be in the rut at all times of the year so there are those times that I still hunt alone. I'm not complaining for I'm usually more successful when I'm by myself. I know, on this forum there are many different age groups, all of whom crave to deer hunt but are there others that can relate to my changing times? I'm from Canada but I've read that states such as Texas are concerned by the lack of youth getting into hunting and all of you seasonedhunters out there justhave a little chuckle at that guy that thinks all they have to do is go to Wally-world to get outfitted, watch a couple of DVD's and he's ready to become the weekend warrior extreme. Long live the lifestyle and take a kid out hunting.

curth83 04-08-2007 08:19 AM

RE: Changing times

yea i know what you are talking about. there is maybe a handful of people that hunt at my school. at my old school it was hard to come by someone that didnt hunt. but i moved from a farm area to a suburban area, so i kind of expected it i guess. it is disappointing to see that kids arent picking the game or sport up like they used to.

Rebel Hog 04-08-2007 08:28 AM

I know, on this forum there are many different age groups, all of whom crave to deer hunt but are there others that can relate to my changing times? I'm from Canada but I've read that states such as Texas are concerned by the lack of youth getting into hunting and all of you seasonedhunters out there justhave a little chuckle at that guy that thinks all they have to do is go to Wally-world to get outfitted, watch a couple of DVD's and he's ready to become the weekend warrior extreme.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:DSo very True!

CamoCop 04-08-2007 10:46 AM

as with me, hunting has been a lifestyle...not a hobby. i was too young to remember but other family members still tell stories about my mother carrying me in a back pack while hunting when i was young. i was raised around hunting and learned everything i know about hunting from my dad, grandfather and uncles. this is partially why i think some of these new fangled things like Scent LOK suits (as example)and such are a joke. i nor my family have ever used these and we continually bring home venison every year. the "old style" of hunting which is using the elements to your favor is quickly becoming a thing of the past, giving way to the "new" idea's. don't get me wrong, i am by no means a hardcore traditionalist. i do use a modern rifle and climbing tree stand but i do not go out and buy every "new" gimmick that hits the market in hopes of making my hunt easier. i still spend all year in the woods and put forth lots of effort patterning the deer and playingmy odds with the moon phases and weather conditions.

uncle matt 04-08-2007 11:05 AM

IS THERE ANY WHO CAN RELATE?!

IT COULD HAVE EASILY HAVE BEEN ME WHO WROTE YOUR POST!

It is not just inTexas but in all the states that folks in the "industry" are worried about the declining numbers of youth getting involved not only with hunting, but fishing, camping, hiking and all outdoors activities.

The statistics show that if a kid doesn't have get out and do some fishing, hunting or camping/hiking by like age 10/11 they are very likely to never participate in those activities. So certainly they wouldn't be likely to help any youths when thet reach adulthood either.

That is why I teach hunter safety education - for the kids. That is why, like you, I am the "old man" in the camp. (But we won't repeat that now will we - atleast for another 10 years or so) That is why I love to bring kids fishing. I have a great little secret bluegill pond where the kids can catch fish one after another. Kids can't tolerate being skunked - they gotta be having fun. Bring the little grill, cook some dogs or burgers, some chips and soda - they won't forget and they'll want to do it again & again.

It's our duty guys!

TROPHYHUNTER25 04-09-2007 05:38 AM

you have to take the youth of america hunting and fishing. if you can get them hooked on it, it will keep them out of trouble

whitetaildreamer 04-11-2007 05:28 PM

As to the last post....I was flipping through a hunting mag. from a couple of years ago andit stated some very interesting statistics that I am surprised that have never been reported in the mainstream media. In the article it was discussing the percentages of youth that get themselves in trouble with the law. 83% of those that had run ins with the law had no backround with the out-of-doors.That definitely illistrates the importance of getting the youth out to experience the wilderness. It is very refreshing to see thatboy scout groups are now offering firearm safety programs. These programs, whereoffered are full and the safety training these young individuals are getting will only benefit us all. I am certainly glad to see the posts of all the young hunters out there that love our sport. That heart beat rush of knocking down their first deer will live with them forever.No drug could ever give you that. Keep hunting, keep safe, and treasure the moments in the woods.

djschuett 04-11-2007 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: TROPHYHUNTER25

you have to take the youth of america hunting and fishing. if you can get them hooked on it, it will keep them out of trouble

I agree 100%. My dad got me hooked on hunting and fishing as well as just being outdoors and I spent almost every free moment I had growing up either fishing at the pond in front of my house or watching/looking for widlife in the woods that bordered our yard.

I would spend 10 or more hours a day in the summers out in the woods walking around, looking for deer and deer sign, watching animals just observing mother nature at her best.

To this day, I've never tried drugs, never smoked, never gotten in any major trouble and I learned a hell of a respect for hunting not to mention a great way to spend entire weekends :D