Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumb Question....

Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Default RE: Dumb Question....

i use my hunting boots for fishing and just about everything else in the off season. a couple of weeks before the season i put them outside to air out.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do use some sent eliminators and always where a cover sent when going hunting. I take as many advantages as I can (yes playing the wind is extremely important). I take my prehunting scouting as important as the hunting itself. I've seen many a guy doing the preseason scouting dressed in non hunting clothes. If you want to change the deer's patterns before you start hunting then do just that. To me it doesn't make any sense. Since I'll be starting my pre-season hunting in the next couple of weeks, (and I'm causious about what sents I take into the woods now including smells such as de-oderent,etc.), the clothes that I will be wareing will also be piccking up the smells of the woods while I'm there. I change at the vehical before my return placing the clothes that I was waring into scent proof containers as not tocontaminate them with my family's smells from the truck. This also includes the boots that I was wearing. The earthy spring smells that emminate from the sealed containers that I open for my next scouting trip are definitely evident. Over the next few months of scouting the changing smells of the woods are only added to my hunting clothes. I will not wash these clothes except for letting them soak in some UV eliminators and then being hung outside to dry. Over the new few months I will be able to generally pattern the deer that I will be hunting causing as little disruption to their roaming areas as possible. If you see deer trails as you are scouting stay off them or they may not be back or be some what nervious the next time they use them. Practising at a range to tune up is great whether it be for bow or rifle but also consider the time scouting for not only pattering the deer but also a time for adjusting the smells of your hunting clothing to the area you will be hunting. Hey this may not be an opportunity for all but I believe that it has assitted me in being successfull with my hunts. The proof is in the freezer.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

The biggest mistake you can make with boots is stepping in gas or spilling it on them.

IMO, even with the best scent blosker clothing and spray, they will still smell you - especially if you are close enough to hit with a bow. Hunt downwind is my only strategy.