Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
VER Y VERY Important !!!!please read and help >

VER Y VERY Important !!!!please read and help

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

VER Y VERY Important !!!!please read and help

Old 12-14-2002, 10:24 AM

Default VER Y VERY Important !!!!please read and help

GO ahead and call me a dumb@###$#$#%&^&^%^$%&%*&*)_(&*&^^% and a (^%^$#@#@##$#$#$#%$@%@%. But I think that I am going to buy a new rifle. Before I do I want to ask the experts (that would be you all) about the gun I am buying. Accuracy and distance is what I want to accomplish. I have seen online the Remington 700 VS, Rem. 700 VS SF and the Rem. 700 VLS. What is the difference? I am leaning more towards the VS b/c information is avalible on this gun more than the others. Am I mistaking or is this a "sniper" rifle? And I HOPE that is can be used for deer hunting I have priced one for $700 anyone know of anywhere else to buy one cheaper? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:26 AM

Default RE: VER Y VERY Important !!!!please read and help

Oh one other thing. My Wheatherby 7mm is NEW very new and well taken care of. No sense in having two rifles would anyone like to buy it?

Old 12-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, none of what you mentioned are "sniper rifles". They can all be made to be very accurate, but the remington 700 PSS (police sniper system) is remington's "sniper rifle". However, it's only available to civilians in very restricted areas, good luck finding one. I've been looking for years for one and just now found out where I could order one in, for a hundred dollar mark up plus his order in fee. $700 is a pretty good price for one, but there are better rifles around that would cost less. I know a million guys who use 700's for deer hunting, but usually in Adl/Bdl's, but a couple use VLS's and all of them like remingtons. I suggest going to their site and looking up the individual differences.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:53 AM

Ok, I just want a rifle to deer hunt with and if I choose to bust one at 800 yards. What rifle will do that? Still what about the Remington 700 VS. I don't understand what is the big deal and what are some other rifles that are better?
Old 12-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rems VS series is their varmit rifle. I can't recall what calibers are available but it will be limited to 22-250, 220, 243, 6mm or maybe 308..you'll have to check. These guns have the heavy target or varmit barrel and usually the varmiter choice calibers available.

What caliber do you want? Are you wanting something with less recoil? Why would you like a new rifle? If you post these answers i am sure many will give you ideas.

Old 12-14-2002, 10:56 AM

I don't really care if it kicks. I have a sinlge shot slug gun that will knock you out of your stand and I love it. Just the feel of the power you are shooting. ANyway, the most accurate but yet legal to deer hunt with is the cal. I want. Someone said "sniper" and rem 700 vs in the same sentence so I want one. HELP. I would love to go USMC Sharpe Shooter but kinda married and that is a single mans life. At least I can pretend with a monster buck. lol
Old 12-14-2002, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ceaser8...800 yards? I don't know many who can claim they can take a deer at 800 yards...why do you want that kind of range?

As to would VS be enough check on what calibers are available, then you'll be able to tell if it is good for deer, etc.

What caliber are you looking for? Maybe more importantly what in a new rifle are you looking for?

Old 12-14-2002, 11:04 AM

I don't really know about 800 yards but you get the picture right, RANGE and ACCURACY. The cal. doesn't matter. The rifle....I don't know that i whay I am asking you guys.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most rifles are capable of far more accuracy than the guy pulling the trigger. I have had good liuck with most of my guns: i would recommend looking at Rem, Win, Browning, Savage or Tikka. They all seem plenty accurate given you top them with some decent glass and do your part.

As far as caliber, deer and reasonable distance: 260, 270, 280, 7mm-08, 2506 or mags will do fine(7 rem mag, 7RUM, 300's). Really the choice is yours, just pick a caliber you want, in a style and manufacturer that fits you and top it with some good glass. I bet they will be plenty accurate for yeah. (If you buy factory ammo, then you should look at availablity, choice, etc)

Or get a custom built gun on what ever action you prefer. May cost a bit more but then you can make exactly what you want.

BTW, I think an 800 yard shot on a deer is never required and not something that should be viewed as a channel for you desire to snipe! If you want to shoot those long distances do it on paper, it don't bleed and suffer if you miss by a few inches!

Old 12-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would look at the sendero as it is made exactly for your purpose which is taking big game at longer distances.It is available in stainless fluted and the ones I have shot have been very accurate for a factory rifle.As for the distances you intend to shoot I would encourage you to practise at long distance targets and to shoot at game only at the distances that you can consistantly hit targets at.To become proficient at even 400 or 500 yards requires a great deal of practise on a regular basis along with a good quality rangefinder.You should decide just how much time and expense you are willing to put into developing your skills to the level required to shoot at longer distances before spending the cash to buy the equipment necessary for long range shooting.Many people would like to shoot at long distances but do not have access to a long distance range and won't spend the time and cash necessary to shoot several hundred rounds a year practising to maintain their skills.

Quick Reply: VER Y VERY Important !!!!please read and help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.