HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   hunting lease question... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/186027-hunting-lease-question.html)

geterdun2 03-26-2007 01:56 PM

hunting lease question...

this might sound alittle confusing,but im gonna try to translate it for you lol. i want to lease some land. i live in a pretty populated area, but it is the county (not the very pop.city) so there are defintely deer around. There are many patches of probably 10-50 acres that people own here and there. i was wandering can i hunt anywhere? by this i mean if i amwalking my dog on a traintrack, and i see some land with deer tracks everywhere (like i did saturday) can i simply find who ownes the land and ask them if i can hunt?even if its only bowhunting, can someone hunt anywhere as long as they have the owners permission? If so, im gona go around and ask every land owner to hunt there land lol. i guess if its there land they can do whatever, but i just couldnt picture someone hunting here b/c its highly civilized, not the large mountains in the boondocks where i usually hunt. thanks alot, i hope you understand my question.

BuckRogers 03-26-2007 02:16 PM

RE: hunting lease question...

What you are talking about doesnt sound like leasing land unless u pay them for exclusive rights. As far as asking for permission, it never hurts to ask, as this is how I get land to go turkey hunting on. It never hurts to get them a gift or somthign if you do manage to harvest a deer on their land, this just "greases the wheel" and may just get you back on the property later on.

Red Lion 03-26-2007 02:19 PM

You will want to be sure to know the local laws/statues regarding hunting, as some areas may have restrictions not only on firearms, but could on bows as well if there are special circumstances and/or any significant population of people nearby.

beaverdamva 03-27-2007 05:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

You will want to be sure to know the local laws/statues regarding hunting, as some areas may have restrictions not only on firearms, but could on bows as well if there are special circumstances and/or any significant population of people nearby.
That being said, being a bow hunter you you may be in luck. Virginia; for instance, has an Urban Bow Season that is still in. The season ends on the 31st. It is only in effect for certain cities and counties that have adopted it. In these areas you could bow hunt for nearly 6 months!

Knowing your state and local hunting laws is an important first step.

whitetaildreamer 03-27-2007 01:38 PM

It's amazing how many properties you can hunt if you are polite and courtious with the owner. Like already stated check what the regulations for the areaare before you talk to the land owner. You don't want to look stupid infront of the land owner. If I've taken a deer on some one else's property I always offer some of the meat to them. Even if they refuse the meat I will surprise them with a ring of sausage. I've never had anyone refuse a good ring of garlic venison sausage and I know that it is appreciated. It also always gets me an invite back. I also hunt a couple of properties where there are older near to retirement hobby farmers. I also am a bit of a handyman so I have put a couple of days in fixing and repairing stuff for them. This goes a long way in ensuring that I get to hunt their land as well as having the hunting made exclusive to me. Sort of one hand washes another. Hope this information has given you some ideas.

Red Lion 03-27-2007 01:47 PM

You can also get dressed in your sunday bests, pick up a bunt cake and swing buy the landowners house when just Mrs. land owner is home, and throw down your smooze! ;) On second thought that may get you "exclusive rights" but may not be to hunting! :D

geterdun2 03-27-2007 05:18 PM

thanks guys. cuz yea, i know how to approach the land owner, i guess my question was more directed to the laws of Maryland regarding where someone can bowhunt. if someone ownes 20 acres in Baltimore county, i guess they should be able to do what they want with it, bowhunt, fish anything except for guns you know. thanks alot