Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions >

New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions

Old 03-23-2007, 12:02 AM

Default New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions

Hello all - I'm probably a bit of a paradox, so some of this may seem strange but bear with me. My name is SeraphG, and I am a hunting newbie. (lights a lighter and stands up)

I'm 34 and while I have owned guns, and do now, I have never really had a chance to get into shooting as much as I would liked. I have a little 10/22 for plinking, and I have a Maverick 88 12guage for home defense (bird shot only, so we don't over penetrate and harm the neighbors) and a vintage 1943 Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 .303 British - she was a gift from my father-in-law.

Also, as a kid, I read old copies of Guns&Ammo and had a number of other gun subscriptions, and I would basically obsess over the guns and dream of owning them, shooting them and just having all of that be a part of my life.

Not to jerk tears, but I never really had a shooting mentor (dad's not into it, no brothers or uncles that were) so I was sort of adrift and so I never really knew where to start. I had bb guns and practiced shooting with them and got extremely accurate with them (as much as you can with a 790fps .177 pellet lol). And I finally got to go to a range and shot a fellas single shot .22 - and put 5 shots under a dime with iron sites at 25 yards!! (kept that target for a long time hehe). I even tried to get involved with the position shooting team here in the area, but we were dirt poor and I couldn't get out there regularly. And my shining achievement - a cousin took me to get my hunters safety and took me on a turkey hunt! It was great, even though the only shot I took was on some surly-looking coke cans at the end of the day. But ultimately he lives far away and we just never got to do it again.

So, flash forward and here I am - 34 and finally deciding its time to be an outdoorsman and hunter. I'm basically still in the same boat - not too many people that I know shoot (though I have a brother in law I'm going to ask to help me go whitetail hunting this next season) and while I know all of the ins and outs of gun safety and shooting (I go to the range and shoot the .22 and slugs through the Maverick several times a month), I'm totally green to actually hauling my can out to the woods and shooting wildlife.

I'm here to learn what I can, get advice and get some insite on whatever else I need to read up, learn or experience. I live in Western Md (Hagerstown, Md) and I've put alot of thought into what gun I want to get for hunting. True, the 88 would work, and even the No 4 would do the trick (I haven't shot it, I've cleaned it up, but I want a gunsmith to 'bless' it before I take it out to the range---- I like my face and want to keep it lol), but I wanted to get a gun that would be truly versatile and that I can take on any number of large game hunts (I really want to bag some large stuff down the road - moose, elk, buffalo, bear, hogs, etc)

So I've chosen one of two 45-70 guns and I'd love input - either a Marlin 1895 cowboy ( http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...895Cowboy.aspx ) or the new Marlin 1895 XLR ( http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/xlr/1895XLR.aspx ). If anyone has ANY insite and exthol the virtures of either gun (or better yet compare them) it would be really helpful.

I'm also looking for advice on glass for the gun - the 45-70 loaded for deer is going to kick but not immensely (hello Mr add-on recoil pad ) but higher end game loads are gonna punch and I've heard some scopes cant handle all that rock'n'roll.

Also, I'm looking for insight as to what is the 'beginner' way to hunt whitetail in my area. I have "The Ultimate Guide to Deer Hunting - Tips and Tactics for Every Situation" by David Richey, and I am running through that - but it would be helpful to know what the common methods are in this area or if there is a common 'first method' to harvesting whitetail for beginners - I hear alot about treestands, but I imagine there's alot else going on out there, but being a beginner, I don't want to get in over my head hehe.

What length of shots am I looking at in MD and Pa? Lots of woods here, but I could imagine some long shots in there as well...

Phew -that was way too much post - but I feel better now - its funny - as we get older and try to pick up new skills, how foolish one can feel. Its silly, but that's how it feels - it'll be good to get this stuff under my belt so I don't feel so green.

Thanks all,

SeraphG

Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions

Welcome SeraphG
Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions

guns are like running shoes, you need to try them out before you pick just one. you are going to get numerous suggestions on which brand of gun to go with (this is where a trip to the gun shop to hold and feel out each brand comes in handy). the two rifles you named above are good choices HOWEVER they limit you to shorter shooting distances. it can be done but i wouldn't try shooting game out past100-150 yards with them (this is because of the caliber you chose). my advice would be not to buy a rifle until you've shouldered it. this way you know how it feels and "handles". i would also try to shoot the different calibers you are considering. i personally would go with a rifle in the .30-06 caliber. this is a GOOD all around caliber that will take any game in north america. it's not too big (recoil wise) and not too small (which would mean you would have to rely onsuperb shot placement). plus, ammo for the .30-06 can be bought anywhere that sells ammo. you will notice some calibers are harder to find ammo for and are very expensive. the .30-06 is a very common caliber and the ammo cost is relatively cheap.

now your next question, glass. you again will hear alot of different suggestions on this. basically you get what you pay for when it comes to brands (there are very few companies that are an exception to this rule). the magnification of the glass is going to be strictly preference on your part. my opinion for magnification would be a 3-9x40mm(50mm) scope, i like variable powerscopes.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh and welcome to the forums! this place is a wealth of knowledge (some people on here are just more vocal with their opinions) lol
Old 03-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wellcome,enjoy good folks here!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the site and yes there is a wealth of info from guys on here, I'm no gun expert not even close I mostly bow hunt but the suggestion to looking at 30-06 was very sound advise. As for how to start hunting I would spend as much time in the woods as possible and look for deer runs and learn about rubs and scrapes. Sit on some field edges and glass the fields and watch the movments of deer and how they act. Good luck on an adventure that never ends!!! Walt
Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum.

First thing you need to do is check the regs to see if you will be hunting in a shotgun zone. That will have a lot to do with what gun you select .

Next you need to check PA for the regs there and the cost and availability of non-resident permits.

Then I suggest you get out in the woods where youi're going to hunt and do some scouting. Lots of scouting.

Hey, once again, welcome and good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

guns are like running shoes, you need to try them out before you pick just one. you are going to get numerous suggestions on which brand of gun to go with (this is where a trip to the gun shop to hold and feel out each brand comes in handy). the two rifles you named above are good choices HOWEVER they limit you to shorter shooting distances. it can be done but i wouldn't try shooting game out past100-150 yards with them (this is because of the caliber you chose). my advice would be not to buy a rifle until you've shouldered it. this way you know how it feels and "handles". i would also try to shoot the different calibers you are considering. i personally would go with a rifle in the .30-06 caliber. this is a GOOD all around caliber that will take any game in north america. it's not too big (recoil wise) and not too small (which would mean you would have to rely onsuperb shot placement). plus, ammo for the .30-06 can be bought anywhere that sells ammo. you will notice some calibers are harder to find ammo for and are very expensive. the .30-06 is a very common caliber and the ammo cost is relatively cheap.

now your next question, glass. you again will hear alot of different suggestions on this. basically you get what you pay for when it comes to brands (there are very few companies that are an exception to this rule). the magnification of the glass is going to be strictly preference on your part. my opinion for magnification would be a 3-9x40mm(50mm) scope, i like variable powerscopes.
Couldn't agree more, getting a gun is all about preference. Personally I love my Marlin 30/30, but i have never had to shoot a deer past 70yds either. The 30-06 is a great all around hunting caliber like he said. You may also want to look at the .308 caliber. Pretty similar balistically and is another great all around caliber.

Scopes, to me, are all about preference as well. I really like my Tasco and Bushnell scopes. They're both made well and are both hard scopes to beat for the prices you'll pay respectively.

Every hunter here carries different stuff, so the rest i.e.: camo, boots, stands, blinds, etc. is all up to you and what you decide will fit how you want to hunt. For starting off, I recommend ground blinds. Either building yourself (a load of fun, very rewarding as well) or buying (portable, huge bonus)one is up to you. As far as tactics goes, you've come to the right place to find out what may work in your area. Welcome to the boards.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forums and to the world of hunting , thats one heck of a intro
Can't give you much advice on guns or scopes but if you ever want to know about bows , I can help you there.
Just do alot of reading from these post and the replys in them , there full of useful information good luck and be safe.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM

Thanks to all for the welcome!

I'm not 100% set on the 45-70 so I'll consider other calibers etc. Though I do have a soft spot for those leverguns...

Another option I've considered is getting a .308 ar-15 from DPMS - though I'd have to get a fluted barrel to keep the weight down - they can run around 11lbs otherwise.

I know Browning makes a 30-06 levergun (BLR) but they look a little goofy to me - though I've never seen one in person.

Quick Reply: New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.