Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

After Gun Season

Old 12-12-2002, 02:11 PM

Default After Gun Season

A hunting buddy told me that only 20% of bow hunters return to the woods after gun season. What kind of success has anyone had hunting in the late season and do you notice a behavior change in feeding habits? Thank you for your comments.

If it crawls it falls, if it flies it dies.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: After Gun Season

This being my 1st year bow hunting without any success, I was a little depressed when I had to put the rifle up. Seen alot of deer during bow season but I just couldn't get a shot. Muzzleloading is this weekend in KY so I'll be out there and after that I'll try some more with the bow.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:17 AM

I started in early archery, thru gun season, and now in muzzeloader.
There is a big change going on now. This is my third year (after a ten year lay off) of bow hunting. Early archery the deer seemed to maintain a steady pattern. Gun season and the horney deer was crazy. The feeding places and patterns seemed to not change much, but the paths did. Now, I cain't find em. The hunter number is reduced (which is a good thing) and so is the deer population (which is a bad thing). I find fresh trails, fresh droppings, food, water, but no deer.
I just came back from this mornings hunt. I scouted it yesterday afternoon. Sat there last night and got a no show. I figured they must go through early morning. So thats where I went to. My problem was when I was leaving my truck the batteries went dead in my flashlight. Lucky for me I had spares. I walked the road for about a quarter mile to where I go into the woods. Even thogh it was dark, I could see the road ok with my flashlight off. As I turned my light on to go into the woods, the bulb blew (suck). Needless to say I made alot of noise getting through the woods, and then climed the wrong tree. When it was light enough to see, I still didn't know where I was. Three hours after my hunt, I found that I was about two hundred yards North of where I wanted to be. So, I will try it again tonight. By the way, I seen and heard nothing. Good Luck
Old 12-13-2002, 11:38 AM

if i had a bow i could have max out in deer thsi year. during early archery the deer stand in our alfalfa field every fricking night from 6:00 til too dark for me to see. they are 300 yards from the house and i can walk to within 40 yards of them standing straight and not trying to blend in or be sneaky. ahh what i would do for a bow

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much all bets are off as far as I'm concerned. THe deer will be in generally the same areas, but it'll take at least the first week of bow season for them to calm down and get back to business as usual. The only major problem is, sometimes when there was too much hunter activity for the two weeks, the deer will completely relocate, but not too far usually. Not far enough to be a problem if we could still carry a rifle, just pick up and walk over there a half mile or whatever, then take a 200 yrd shot and get a deer, but since we only get bows now, you're probably going to have to move your stands. You're lucky if you don't.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 01:26 PM

ooooo muzzle loader season starts soon thats my favorite kind of hunting

Blake - Go get'em