Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30 calibers

Old 03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30 calibers

Actually energy = velocity X mass. So a small bullet moving very fast would have more "inertia" as you put it, than a larger bullet moving slowly.

Like several others have already said though, there is almost no way to accurately predict what is going to happen when a bullet hits a twig, rock, etc. It could go right through ordeflect off at a 30 degree angle, regardless of the size or speed.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a specific example, a 7mm Rem Mag shooting factory ammo (140 gr Nosler Partion) would have3,084 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle compared to a .30-06 shooting a 180 gr NoslerPartion with 2,913 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skeeter said it better than I can. Its not a matter of which deflects more or velocity or anything else. Its a matter of fact that most any projectile will alter its path when hitting an obstacle. any deflection is to much. Its a shoot no shoot matter and if the shot is not clear, IMO one should pass on the shot. I won't nit pick any further. You all have some good points and I think we probably all agree on passing that kind of a shot up.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

Actually energy = velocity X mass. So a small bullet moving very fast would have more "inertia" as you put it, than a larger bullet moving slowly.

Like several others have already said though, there is almost no way to accurately predict what is going to happen when a bullet hits a twig, rock, etc. It could go right through ordeflect off at a 30 degree angle, regardless of the size or speed.
my statement was assuming both projectiles were traveling at the same velocity.

I believe you are referring to momentum when you say inertia, but if you are referring to energy as force, it ismass x accelleration(sp?), not mass times velocity.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Skeeter said it better than I can. Its not a matter of which deflects more or velocity or anything else. Its a matter of fact that most any projectile will alter its path when hitting an obstacle. any deflection is to much. Its a shoot no shoot matter and if the shot is not clear, IMO one should pass on the shot. I won't nit pick any further. You all have some good points and I think we probably all agree on passing that kind of a shot up.
i completely agree with you. any deflection is bad and no shot should be taken when a there is a high probability of the projectile impacting something before coming into contact with thetarget of choice. Myoriginal statement's purpose was to add insight to certain parts of this thread that were neglected or outright ignored. There was no intended malicious content towards anybody in my post and I whole-heartedly agree with the statement you just made.

Good hunting to everybody!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

For a specific example, a 7mm Rem Mag shooting factory ammo (140 gr Nosler Partion) would have3,084 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle compared to a .30-06 shooting a 180 gr NoslerPartion with 2,913 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.
Key word there, "Magnum".
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 PM

In the case of the "Brush Gun" no bullet light or small has a batter chance of hitting its target once it hits brush, the velocities involved are so high that the same bullets/speeds/ect..might hit 25yds apart, a few degrees of angle mean huge distances off target even at 100yds.