Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30 calibers

Old 03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30 calibers

You don't think a twig will have less impact on a 300 Win. Mag. than on a .22-250 Rem.? That's actually, no offense, sounding like bologna (ba-lo-nee).
Old 03-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

You don't think a twig will have less impact on a 300 Win. Mag. than on a .22-250 Rem.? That's actually, no offense, sounding like bologna (ba-lo-nee).
Place something in a projectiles path and you have no way of predicting what flight path it will take after the contact. thoughbig or small it will result in a deviation of some sort. Whether it will have less impact is not the point here, neither are going to carry through like nothing happened..Is the point!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quit trying to make the point, I'm the one who brought up an argument, and you are trying to change it, and make it into somethingI'm not talking about.

The point is, since a guy might find himself hunting in a brushy area, he might not see all the twigs in the way, so he would want to minimize the effect of a twig on the bullets' flight path, by using a cartridge with more mass.

I know that there is no bullet that can perfectly go through light brush as if nothing happened, but at close quarters, what's the difference? It depends on what gun you have, if you're hunting with a .243, it'll get thrown off badly, or, if it's a ballistic tip, it might start to shatter too early, so it doesn't produce the desired effect,
but a 30-06 or a 300 Win. Mag., would have more bullet mass, and have "More to give" so to speak, and the "more" would be enough to kill a deer at short range, through LIGHT brush. If it's heavy enough you can only see thesilhouette of the deer, you need a .460 Weatherby or something.j/k, It's not good to take thick brush shots with any gun,IMO.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Quit trying to make the point, I'm the one who brought up an argument, and you are trying to change it, and make it into somethingI'm not talking about.

The point is, since a guy might find himself hunting in a brushy area, he might not see all the twigs in the way, so he would want to minimize the effect of a twig on the bullets' flight path, by using a cartridge with more mass.

I know that there is no bullet that can perfectly go through light brush as if nothing happened, but at close quarters, what's the difference? It depends on what gun you have, if you're hunting with a .243, it'll get thrown off badly, or, if it's a ballistic tip, it might start to shatter too early, so it doesn't produce the desired effect,
but a 30-06 or a 300 Win. Mag., would have more bullet mass, and have "More to give" so to speak, and the "more" would be enough to kill a deer at short range, through LIGHT brush. If it's heavy enough you can only see thesilhouette of the deer, you need a .460 Weatherby or something.j/k, It's not good to take thick brush shots with any gun,IMO.

Your premise "POINTis flawed/based on bush beaters "myth". My reply same as before
Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never said "Brush Buster", I said "Brush Gun".

You're really trying to put words in my mouth, 'cause you know that my argument is true, I will say it one more time.

A bulletwith alarger bullet mass will be less affected from brush than a gun with the same velocityand smallerbullet mass.

It's about inertia, the First Law of Motionwritten by Newton, "the velocity of an object is not changed unless acted upon by an outside force."

An uprightstick may stop a runningmouse cold in it's tracks, but a dog isn't going to be stopped, it'll be slowed down if it runs into the stick, but it'll keep moving forward, since it has bigger mass, even if it has the same velocity.

Just quit trying to argue a bunch of crap, and don't change the subject anymore.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Having more bullet mass does not mean the bullet will plow through the brush and hit the target. It is impossible to know what any bullet will do when it stikes a twig or even grass and weeds. Its foolish to take a chance on a poor hit shooting through brush. There is no proof that a 30 caliber bullet would deflect less that a 22 caliber bullet. I hate to see new comers to hunting get false info about brush guns. You are better off with good enough optics to see the small twigs and wait for a clear shot.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Brush Guns mean Short barrels and a twig will deflect a .50cal mg round.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Having more bullet mass does not mean the bullet will plow through the brush and hit the target. It is impossible to know what any bullet will do when it stikes a twig or even grass and weeds. Its foolish to take a chance on a poor hit shooting through brush. There is no proof that a 30 caliber bullet would deflect less that a 22 caliber bullet. I hate to see new comers to hunting get false info about brush guns. You are better off with good enough optics to see the small twigs and wait for a clear shot.
I never said it would hit the desired point exactly, and I didn't say that a large round wouldn't be deflected at all, I said that having a higher bullet mass will MINIMIZE the effects of brush on a gun.

I never said that having a gun that would minimize the effects of brush would guarantee a kill the shooter set out to make.

Sure, I might have no proof of a .22 penetrating less than a .30 cal, but it's common sense. Don't you think asemi-truck will crash through a fence better than a regular car? There's a bit of a difference in the auto's ability to keep a straighter drive pattern, and the semi's.

I believe the same can be said about bullets.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

James B

Yes, bothbullets will deflect, but you have to take into effect momentum and vector analysis in which case the mass of anprojectile plays a large roll in theamount of energy trasnferred, and the direction of that energy after impacting an object. Short and sweet of it is that bothbullets will deflect but the heavierbullet will USUALLY deflect much less given that the object being impacted is not an unmovable barrier, or an object of much greater mass and velocity in which case a similar outcome would be expected for both weighted bullets.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your arguement is exactly where the "bush beater" term/myth evolved from my understanding, any way. The belief that a larger bulletis better than smaller as it should be less affected by twigs/grass, etc. As I statedin my first postwhether it is less affected means squat, it is affected so that can lead to an altered POI and ulitimately a wounded animal. I don't consider it ethical to shoot in hopes your bullet will hit it's intended target, so I voice my opinions freely when such things are debated. That's all nothing more.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Have a good one

Quick Reply: 30 calibers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.