HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   shedded antlers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/184886-shedded-antlers.html)

Robin Woods.. 03-16-2007 07:50 PM

shedded antlers

Where do you find yours ?

mahoningbuck 03-17-2007 03:48 AM

RE: shedded antlers

Where they fall......of course;)

SIRedneck 03-18-2007 06:55 PM

I've found a lot of mine in the fields, field edges, and fence rows. But I did find two today in the woods.

I do know this. You can't find very many in your living room. So get out and look.

Hoytteen 03-18-2007 07:04 PM

on the ground, some in bush's..lol:D

I ussaly just find my by fields and stuff and look on the heavy traveled runways!

newguy23 03-19-2007 04:56 PM

I never beleived the hype, but this year I found one where a trail crossed a stream... The thought being that if they are jumping they cause drama to their head, thus dropping the antlers.

fingerz42 03-19-2007 05:06 PM

drama?

gamehunter1269 03-21-2007 07:45 PM

maybe you mean "Trama" but yes i have found sheds rights next to streams but i dont know if thats the reason

findinbone 03-23-2007 07:00 PM

I spend alot of time walking trails between feeding and bedding areas keeping in mind bucks dont stray far from food sources in winter time.I like pipe and power right of ways keying on the sides that get the most sun.Edges of clear cuts with the best 1's being two to say 5 years old.I've never had much sucess with fence or creek crossings jarring antlers loose but I still check them anyway.I like places where deer cross roads and get hit by cars I find alot of bucks laying dead in those spots.(I tell people I killed the bigger ones)But thats our little secret.I carry bino's a good set of pruning clippers.I go thru alot of briers.Iwalk a short distance then stop and check my back trail you will be suprised at how many sheds you walk by.I look for small parts of the antler just like ya look for small parts of deer when you are hunting.A curve of a main beam or the end of a tine.I hope this helps.

BowHunter46 03-24-2007 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: findinbone

I walk a short distance then stop and check my back trail you will be suprised at how many sheds you walk by.

I have never found a shed before but you couldnt say that I have never tried. I've spent probably 8 hours in the woods combining this year and last year. After I look for a long time and not find anything, I get that "I probably just didnt see it when I walked by" feeling. Ive even taken antlers into the woods with me and threw them on the ground just to see how easily they would stand out from the leaves, sticks, grass, ect. Now I know where I need to really concentrate, like in cut down corn fields.

Whats really ironic, last year me and my dad spent about 3 hours searching for sheds with no luck. About a week later, he took a walk with my sister, and comes back with a nice 3 point shed with no brow tine and says "I was just walkin along the trail, looked down and there was an antler layin there!" He wasntreallyevenlookin for sheds. It just goes to show that its really all about luck.

DUMB BASS 03-24-2007 11:23 AM

[/quote]

I have never found a shed before but you couldnt say that I have never tried. I've spent probably 8 hours in the woods combining this year and last year. After I look for a long time and not find anything,

Whats really ironic, last year me and my dad spent about 3 hours searching for sheds with no luck.
[/quote]

I could say that you didn't really try. If you've only spent 8 hours in 2 years looking for sheds, you aren't trying. I spend 8 hours a weekend looking for em easily. They don't just jump in your pocket, it takes a lot of boot leather, and time to find em.

I have 14 sheds this year, and probably more than 100 hours looking. 3 matched sets that go 120-150.

I realize that in PA you may not find as many, but they are there. Especially since the AR's.