Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Killing Deer From Airboats

Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 AM

Default RE: Killing Deer From Airboats

This little Buck was taken is S.Texas. For the area he is a real nice buck. He also ate real good. He was also killed on public land w/out any kind of feeder.

However, I did kill one in Canada this year that was 300+ lbs.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 AM

300 Lbs + Buck

Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I've hunted along a lot of cut corn fields, but none of them guaranteed that the same buck would show up at 7:15AM everyday and stand 30 yards from my stand while he eats out of a feeder. But, to each his own.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

here its illegle to shoot from a motorize veh except if your disabled....

nice buck by its standerds.......
Old 03-14-2007, 03:20 PM

Sounds like fun to me. I'd try it.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

was the deer actually shot from the boat or was it just used to transport it across the otherwise unpenetrable areas. its kind of like assuming that every picture of a deer in the back of a pickup was shot from the pickup itself.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Well, I've hunted along a lot of cut corn fields, but none of them guaranteed that the same buck would show up at 7:15AM everyday and stand 30 yards from my stand while he eats out of a feeder. But, to each his own.
I don't use feeders, but there is no guarantee when my deer visit any food source. I have been using corn piles and plant food plots to get pictures on my game cameras for the last 12 years, so I know this for a fact.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 PM

The Engine is a Chevrolet 502/502

As for how they are killed, most of the time the airboat is only for transport but I have killed several deer on the shoreline while parked up in the grass. I know several areas where you can use the boat as a blind.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: djschuett

I must be spoiled up here in the midwest! That thing looks like a small fawn!

The first thought to pop into mind was "how did a yearling get antlers that big?"

Seriously, that deer can't weigh 80 lbs even before it was gutted. Up here we call animals that size and color coyotes.

Nice job there djschuett for ripping the guy on the size of his deer. Don't know if this was taken in Florida or not but if you think about it deer grow bigger in certain areas than others. Yes we may be spoiled in the midwest but I've seen shows on TV where they hunt in Texas and the deer bodies appear to be smaller but have fantastic racks. I'd be the first to admit if I wanted a deer for the freezer I would have shot it. How about cuttin our fellow hunters a little slack!
I'm not ripping him about the size of the deer as much as commenting on how lucky we in the midwest are to have deer the size they are relative to the south. I guess I never realized how small deer are down in those parts.

I'll admit if I saw a deer with a body that sized up here that somehow had a great rack, I'd probably take it too!

LCC,
Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but if it was, it's entirely inaccurate. I pay $27 in state license fee and drive an hour and a half to a large tract of public land where I hunt with an approximate 5-6:1 ratio of acres of land to hunters where I regularly see more hunters than deer. I don't bait, don't believe in it and never will. Hasn't seemed to hurt my luck so far, a 13pt 250 lb on the hoof buck in 2005 and a 140 lb dressed doe this year shot from the same secret spot!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

how is the person saying it was small (compared to up north) ripping him? thats not ripping the guy, thats a fact. Higher latitudes have larger animals within a species of mammals. Its called Bergmann's rule.

and how does shooting deer up north off feeders come into this? oh, it doesnt.

congratulations on the deer. i have never even thought of that kind of hunting. i bet its neat.

Quick Reply: Killing Deer From Airboats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.