Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I eat the Liver
10.53%
I don't eat the Liver
76.32%
I sometimes eat the Liver
13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Eat the Liver

Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do You Eat the Liver

My wife and I always eat the liver , we really like it ... in fact my wife would be upset with me if I didn't bring the liver home.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted no, but they don't go to waste, someone will always take them.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: djschuett

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

We have a heart one out there ... let's see who eats thepee filter ...YUCK![:'(]

I vote NO![:'(][:'(][:'(]
Pee filter would be the kidneys. The liver does enough other filtering to make me not want to eat it!

Anyone who eats liver should know that approx 40-60% of the liver's blood flow comes directly from the small and large intestines.
I guess I stated that wrong ... I meant it is a filter that produces urea, which is the main substance of pee ...sorry about that
No prob, you're right on the count that the Liver does produce urea which is then excreted in the urine.

I know way too many functions of the liver to ever be able to eat it.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I eat it about once every month or so. Fried in 3/8" slices fried in butter or olive oil and onions.

I think someone had the part about what liver does and produces wrong. It produces bile needed for digestion of fats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver

I won't eat it every week. But it's likely many things, in moderation, it's fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is the Liver?
The liver is the largest glandular organ of the body. It weighs about 3 lb (1.36 kg). It is reddish brown in color and is divided into four lobes of unequal size and shape. The liver lies on the right side of the abdominal cavity beneath the diaphragm. Blood is carried to the liver via two large vessels called the hepatic artery and the portal vein. The heptic artery carries oxygen-rich blood from the aorta (a major vessel in the heart). The portal vein carries blood containing digested food from the small intestine. These blood vessels subdivide in the liver repeatedly, terminating in very small capillaries. Each capillary leads to a lobule. Liver tissue is composed of thousands of lobules, and each lobule is made up of hepatic cells, the basic metabolic cells of the liver.
What is its major function?
The liver has many functions. Some of the functions are: to produce substances that break down fats, convert glucose to glycogen, produce urea (the main substance of urine), make certain amino acids (the building blocks of proteins), filter harmful substances from the blood (such as alcohol), storage of vitamins and minerals (vitamins A, D, K and B12) and maintain a proper level or glucose in the blood. The liver is also responsible fore producing cholesterol. It produces about 80% of the cholesterol in your body.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:10 PM

First of all, I think it's funny people go to "mamashealth.com" for medical information.

Yes, the liver performs all of those functions listed, but it is also the main site of blood filtration to remove Iron and other metals as well as toxins in addition to producing multiple proteins and clotting factors.

So basically if the deer had eaten any plants with pesticides on them, the liver via the CPY450 enzymes or another enzyme family would have removed those chemicals and stored them to some level or another. Thusly you could be ingesting a nice dose of organophosphates with your liver.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 PM

in my family, we eat the liver first in a way of thanking deer by tasting the bitterness first
Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 PM

I never eat the liver nor do I keep it.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Host of Hosts

Nope!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 PM

If it's not connected to bone, I don't eat it! I've never had a bite of liver in my life (with the exception of a couple of chicken livers wrapped in bacon) and I don't plan to.

Quick Reply: Do You Eat the Liver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.