Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope Size

Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope Size

What flavor suits your taste/usage best(2x7, 3x9,etc)but I think 2x (lowest) and 10x(highest) are all that required on a big game rifle.
40mm- 44mmobjective

The best you can afford( elite 3200, FFII, etc is my min suggestion for a CF for biggame hunting - if you can't afford 200 dollars buy a cheaper rifle or save! I have seen guys drop 1000 on a rifle then skimp the scope and rings b/c they spent the wad already. It makes absolutely no sense to me, as I'd much rather have a 500 dollar rifle and 500 scope instead)

Quality ring and bases - I will not use alum bases on anything other then a rimfire so that pretty much takes care of all the cheapie's and a good portion of the ever popular weavers as well. I personally like Leupold Double Dovetails or Warne Maxima's.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

For my muzzel loaders use 4x fixed scopes. As for the rilfe scopes, I ook for the scope that not only fits the gun but the hunting situation I will be using the gun for. For my 7mm mag, I had to find a scope that had a long tube due the size of the breatch. For most of my long rifles, I use the 3x9x40.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 3x9x50, it's better than a 3x9x40.

If you can afford it, I would get a Bushnell Elite 4x12x50, that's a good scope. Of course, you will need to tell us what caliber of gun you are using.

The Bushnell Elite I just mentioned is good for .30 caliber (Not Magnums) and under.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shots at deer are often real close. Over magnification can cost you a animal. I like a 2X7 but a 3x9 would be my absolute Max power for deer hunting. The Bushnell Elite will stand up to any rifle you would ever want to put it on . I had one on a 416 Rem Mag and it stood up to that fine.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Nikon Prostaff 3X9-40. Havent't actually hunted with it but its mounted. I just have to sight it in I looked through it at around dusk and could tell the difference between the two.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I know some people that are very into optics that would dissagree with you. I see no need for a 50 mm objective lens on a hunting scope unless it is a very cheap one. All you are doing is adding weight and raising your scope higher than it needs to be.

The Elites have good enough optics that you could use a 32 mm objective with normal powers. Unless you wanted to hunt at night.

Paul
Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I know some people that are very into optics that would dissagree with you. I see no need for a 50 mm objective lens on a hunting scope unless it is a very cheap one. All you are doing is adding weight and raising your scope higher than it needs to be.

The Elites have good enough optics that you could use a 32 mm objective with normal powers. Unless you wanted to hunt at night.

Paul
If you see no reason to put a 50mm lens on, that's not that great.

Lots of deer are shot in the fading minutes of legal shooting hours, or right after the sun comes up when it's still dark,and the 50mm lets in more light, which ends up lightening the area through the scope better than you can see with your eyes, whichis VERY helpful.

As for weight, that's not an issue, you're going to try to shoot with a rest, otherwise, your chances of making a shot, even with a 40mm, is very small.

All in all, the 50mm helps, and it really pays off, I use a Shooter's Edge 3x9x50mm scope, and it only costed $100.00! I use it on my .308, and it works great. It's a very good scope for it's price. It's actually manufactured by Bushnell, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

3x9x40 for my 7mm mag
3x9x32 for 30-30
4x fixed both muzzel loaders
3x9x40 .303
3x9x40 .270
3x9x40 30.06
4x fixed SKS

All bushnell scopes. Only had one difficulty once ant they replaced the scope. Oldest one is over 20 years. Not saying the best by far but have always worked well for me.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Like I said, unless it is a cheap one. $100 for a 50 mm scope is pretty darn cheap.

You are right to a point. Technically a larger objective has the potential to "gather" more light. However human eyes pretty much suck and can only use so much light to begin with. A larger objective will give you a larger exit pupil diameter, then again so will a lower magnification. However your eye can only use so much exit pupil before you are pretty much wasting it, 5 mm is about the norm in most cases from what I understand. So if your scope puts out 4-5 mm of exit pupil at its highest power you should be fine in any legal hunting light.

More important than objective size and exit pupil size are the quality of the lenses and scope. Being able to gather a lot of light means nothing if it can not transmit it accurately without a ton of light loss and reflection. When you look through a nice clear, crisp and what seems to be a bright scope your most likely seeing resolution, not brightness.

A cheap scope with a large objective will not transmit as much light or be as clear and crisp as a more expensive scope with a smaller objective. The better scope has much better glass, coated optics and a better internal design which GREATLY effects how it looks. There really is no substitute for quality glass. Getting a bigger objective will NOT make up for using cheap crappy optics. And you don't need to spend a butt load of money go get it, you just need to be frugal is all. You can get very good hunting optics in the $200 dollar range as long as you don't want a huge scope with lots of magnification and other bells and whistles that you probably don't need anyway.

Lets take a look at your typical bargain hunting scope. A $100 dollar 3-9x50 scope. It has a 5.5 exit pupil at 9X, a 15 ft field of view at 100 yards and weighs over a pound. Not to mention it will sit about 2 inches above your bore depending on what mounts you use. I also highly doubt a scope of that size in that price range is going to have decent optics or any coatings on any of the lenses. There is also the issue of dependability and how long it will hold it's zero. Especially considering a heavier scope with large lenses is more susceptible to recoil because of its increased mass. And when it goes bad you might as well just pitch it. And hope it doesn't do it on the hunt of a life time or when that monster buck you have been chasing all year is in front of you.

Now compare that with a more expensive more compact scope. Lets say a Leupold VX-1 in 2-7x33. It has a near 5mm exit pupil at 7x, 17.3 ft FOV of 100 yards and weighs 10 ounces. It also mounts much lower to the bore of the rifle for more consistent shooting and has more eye relief.

It also comes with excellent optics, top notch quality control and fully coated lenses with very good light transmission. Even though this scope is smaller it will be MUCH brighter and more crisp in every condition compared to a 100 dollar 50mm bargain scope. The difference would be like looking through a piece of plexi glass vrs expensive precision ground prescription glasses with every available coating. And this scope only costs $200.

Not to mention the incredible warranty they come with. If you beat it against a tree and were the 3rd owner they would probably still replace it for you.

I have a $400 dollar varmint scope that is 20X with a 44 mm objective. I would be willing to bet it looks twice as good at 20 power as your cheap 50 mm scope does set at 3 power. Quality glass really does make that big of a difference. And once you step up to the Zeiss Conquest or the $500 and up scopes they look even better yet, especially in low light conditions and higher powers.

Next time you are in a gun shop ask to see a cheap scope, then compare it with a more expensive one of similar or smaller size. Make sure they are adjusted properly though, and if possible look at something farther away. If you can't see a drastic difference you might want to consider getting your eyes checked.

Normally I end my posts by saying this is just my opinion. However this time it is not just my opinion, it is pretty much factually true.

I'm not saying a cheap scope won't work, they do, I have used them. I'm just saying a better scope really is better, especially in bad weather and harsh conditions.

Paul

Old 03-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have fired over 120 rounds of ammo after sighting it in, and the scope doesn't budge, it keeps it's zero,it's got weatherproof coating on it.

Like I said, it's a scope manufactured by Bushnell, "Shooter's Edge" is the name of the company, and the guy at the store said that it's right under the Bushnell Elite as far as quality is concerned, but above the other, regular Bushnell scopes.

My dad has a 3x9x40 Bushnell Elite, and I really don't see much of a difference shooting his when I shoot mine, the only thing I notice is the difference in the gun (His being a 7mm Rem Mag and mine a .308 Win.).

The only scope that really impressed me that I knew was better than mine was a Leupold 3x9x50, the kind that has the bent bottom to fit next to the barrel better. I could tell the Leupold let in light much better, and the resolution was a bit better.

IMO, you need to not make such poorly-thought throughcomments, saying that your opinion is good enough to be worshipped, because it's the truth.
My scope matches in no way, your de-romanticizing "novel"of the 50mm scopes.

You should've said it's just your opinion, not go through 27 words to say what you wrote was the Bible, and in making these mistakes you've proven nothing but incompetence.

Good Day, Happy Hunting, and God Bless the USA.

Quick Reply: Scope Size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.