Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

when do u gut them?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Default RE: when do u gut them?

I have a deer butchering how to book and it says to gut the deer as soon as possible. It affects the quality of the meat if you leave the guts in.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Spike

GUT THEM ASAP DONT WONT TO TAINT THE MEAT.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

I have done both, gutted where they lay and hauled them out to our house or cabin and gutted them there..
A little story, when I was in High school I was in a vocational class and didnt have to go to school til 10:00am, so I had time in bow season to run behind the house and hunt a couple of hours, on one november morning, it was a friday I shot this big ole doe, I didnt have the time so I gutted her there and took her to the house, well on Saturday I was hunting with some friends 30 miles away and my Dad hunted my stand, the one I killed my doe in on friday, and shot a monster 8 pointer, he said it was sniffing the gut pile were I cut out the pee sack..so with that he will tell you it doesnt matter..
But I still do both, I do think that they make nicer pics not gutted, but in the end it is personal preference..
Pic of his buck..

Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM

Def in the wood, saves the mess at the house
Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I gut mine as soon as I possibly can!!!!! This last season I shot a doe a few before dark, I watched her go down but the arrow with the broadhead broke off in her so I had to drag her back to the truck and use the headlights for extra help. I wanted to be safe!!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM

I think the better question is "Why?" instead of "When?" Why does anyone gut out an animal in the first place? Do people "like" to gut animals??? It is not necessary.

Unless you are going to eat the intrals, the only thing to eat is legs (4) and backstrap. OK, the tenderloin? You can get that out, too without spilling guts out all overthe place!

Before anyone say's it, yes- it will help the inside cool down faster. Big deal! If you are hanging it overnight, skin it first. No, leaving the guts in a deer or elk do not "taint" the meat. I heard that myth as a kid, too. Ifthe temperature is too hot, you shouldnt be hanging it overnight in the first place. Shoot it, quarter it, get the backstraps and carefully get the tenderloin- andsoak everything in ice cold, slushy water for a day or two.Feed the rest to the coyote's and buzzards! Let them "gut" your deer.