HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   wisconsin hunters? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/183069-wisconsin-hunters.html)

heo kyle 03-03-2007 06:38 PM

wisconsin hunters?

I hunt in Price Co. near Solberg lake and found the deer numbers are way down. Where do you hunt? and do you find the dnr's herd estimates to be correct?

Wingbone 03-04-2007 06:35 AM

RE: wisconsin hunters?

Considering that there was a deer kill number that ranks in the top 3 ever, somebody was seeing deer. What with the warm weather, lack of acorns, and the deer camped 100 yd. from the nearest bait pile, I didn't see much movement either. I don't know if it was because they weren't moving or they weren't there. However,I don't know enough about itto blame the DNR. I will admit, however, they make a conveniant target.

peakrut 03-04-2007 07:40 AM

I hunt up in Langlade county and most of the hunters and myself included did not see much
on the public timber company lands. I know a private owner who back up to the reservation and he see's
plenty. He also baits. I hunt 7 days and seen 4 deer all does. Could not get a shot off. 3 were opening morning.
Seems bait also wide spread.

peakrut 03-04-2007 07:42 AM

Just to add I did go out to Richland County the saturday after Thanksgiving and seen 6 does n fawns that morning. I didnt want to upset step dad because he hasnt gotten one in a couple years so I passed. He gets
real real crappy and jealous. Didnt want to ruin the weekend.

wi_buckstomper 03-04-2007 07:35 PM

i hunt in lafayette county and deer numbers seemed to be a bit down but a lot of big bucks got shot.

wisbowhunter2009 03-05-2007 05:53 AM

I hunt in Ashland County and i'll tell you one thing. TheDNR do not know what there talkinga bout. They say we have thousands of deer here and i hunted rifle season and seen 1 fawn. I can't wait till we have a wolf season! I think thats why im not seingany deer. Back in 2000 my dad said he used to be passing up 10 pointers and 8 pointers but now he's shooting watever deer walks "besides a fawn". I think the deer numbers are way to low.

wis_bow_huntr 03-05-2007 06:35 AM

This last season was the first year in 40 years my family has gone buckless during gun season. The weather was not cooperative therefore the deer just dint want to move unless you really pushed them. And the antlerless deer we did take during gun season werent anythign spectacular, this was the worst year i have ever seen in my 16 years of hunting.

wihunter402 03-05-2007 06:38 AM

I hunt in Richland county and we shot 6 deer (4 doe, 2 buck) with bow in the first 8 days of the season. My son was heading off to the Navy so we hunted hard as that was all the time he would get this year. In late October I saw 23 doe and fawns walking into a corn field on just one small part of our property. My step son saw 8 or 9 doe that night so that is over 30 deer in just 2 small spots. I do think the deer are out there but I think they are very heavy in some areas and very few in others. We have too many does because most of the neighbors will not shoot any. Our bucks generally are small but once in a while a bigger one will be around. I think there needs to be a better way to count the numbers but I don't know what that would be. I also believe the wolves being brought in has really causeda lot of problems for you northern hunters.[:'(] I don't think I will ever understand why they did that.

Schobs 03-06-2007 06:39 PM

last year was probably the first year our camp of 8+ went deerless since the advent of doe tags, and this year we harvested a mere 2 deer, my opening day fork and a 2nd wknd doe, all in all the season was pretty much a bust, besides me bagging my first buck! PEAKRUT, about where in langlade county are you hunting? We hunt just west of elcho, mostly stands of maple and tons of swamp. whats the habitat like in your area? I know im speaking for probably a majority of the hunters out there when i say that low deer numbers arent gonna keep me outta the woods this coming fall, i'll just hafta find somethin else to interest me while i wait for mr big to show up.

peakrut 03-07-2007 12:18 AM

I am hunting more east of Antigo near Elton off 64 up to 52. The area ive been hunting is timber company land with a lot of ridges. Not sure if you ever heard of the crockerhills? I plan on hunting closer to 64 this year near the swamp just to change it up a bit.
Another note I will be up near elcho in june for a cub scout camp thing with my son.

ORIGINAL: Schobs

last year was probably the first year our camp of 8+ went deerless since the advent of doe tags, and this year we harvested a mere 2 deer, my opening day fork and a 2nd wknd doe, all in all the season was pretty much a bust, besides me bagging my first buck! PEAKRUT, about where in langlade county are you hunting? We hunt just west of elcho, mostly stands of maple and tons of swamp. whats the habitat like in your area? I know im speaking for probably a majority of the hunters out there when i say that low deer numbers arent gonna keep me outta the woods this coming fall, i'll just hafta find somethin else to interest me while i wait for mr big to show up.