HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What's the most impressive shot you've ever seen on a deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/182830-whats-most-impressive-shot-youve-ever-seen-deer.html)

Jimini Thicket 03-01-2007 08:47 PM

What's the most impressive shot you've ever seen on a deer?

About three years ago, I was with my uncle at the edge of a big field. There was a smallish buck on the other side, and it took off running perpendicular to our line of sight, on the other edge of the field. My uncle calmly lifted his open sighted 30-30 and dropped the buck almost in one smooth motion. The buck was about 300 yards away, and I was quite impressed.

uncle matt 03-01-2007 08:58 PM

RE: What's the most impressive shot you've ever seen on a deer?

Ah just about all of mine.......

;)

djschuett 03-01-2007 09:29 PM

Season before last, I had a 13 point buck run in and stop broadside 25 yards away.

The fact that I was able to shoot straight and hit my first ever buck despite a pulse in the mid 500's without peeing my pants impressed the hell out of me!:D

Jimini Thicket 03-01-2007 09:38 PM

Hahaha, pulse in the mid-500s. THAT'S PURTY FAST, THERE!

AnnaMarie 03-01-2007 09:38 PM

Definitely my Catalina goat in Texas.Me, my dad, and a guidestalked these things allllll day, i mean i was exhausted. After doing this for two days, we came up on 3 laying under a tree. The two white ones sensed our presence and stood, but the black one stayed down. All I could see was his head and neck looking straight at me. That was the one I wanted though, so before anyone could blink, BOOM! My dad was yelling, "what the hell were you shooting at!!!" haha, he didnt realize i was going to shoot so fast, so he wasjust admiring thegoats through the binoculars!That bullet went right throughthe goat'schest. He ran 20 yards and fell. I didnt realize when I shot, he was getting up, so my bullet hit the chest intead of the throat. Anyways, i was thrilled, I think I almost cried!

hinkleid 03-01-2007 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimini Thicket

30-30 and dropped the buck almost in one smooth motion. The buck was about 300 yards away, and I was quite impressed.
No scope? He must have known that rifle well! And the 5 feet of drop with the 30-30.

The best I have seen was my dad when I was a kid. He spotted a nice buck, probably about 300 like yours. He was lining him up, and the deer took off... at an angle but closer to us heading for the woods. My dad shot, and the deer dropped and rolled never to move again. I was like wow!
Now no big deal to me. Then it was (14-15). My dad is an unbelievable shot though, on a good day can put 3 through a hole that looks like 1 1/2.

Killer_Primate 03-02-2007 10:49 AM

Not sure that this is the most impressive shot, but at least most interesting...

I watched a buddy of mine shoot a small buck from accross a valley. The buck ran down the hill about 40 yards and crashed, dead as a fart. Interesting thing is - the only hole in the animal was through the ear. It looked like it had been tagged on the ear for monitoring or something, but it was a bullet hole. I guess it died of a heart attack!?

zrexpilot 03-02-2007 02:59 PM

I have to say watching my 9 year old boy at the time, make a perfect shot on a spike, right at 205 yds dropping him in his tracks. He was using my .243. Man I was a proud, proud pop that day.

zrexpilot 03-02-2007 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Not sure that this is the most impressive shot, but at least most interesting...

I watched a buddy of mine shoot a small buck from accross a valley. The buck ran down the hill about 40 yards and crashed, dead as a fart. Interesting thing is - the only hole in the animal was through the ear. It looked like it had been tagged on the ear for monitoring or something, but it was a bullet hole. I guess it died of a heart attack!?
My uncle killed a doe and her yearling with one shot, the doe is the one he was shooting at and the fawn was a good 10 feet away. Not behind either. There was no bullet hole in the fawn but it dropped dead. I didnt believe him and I cleaned the deer looking for a wound, nothing, I even skinned the head and nothing. Wierd.

C. Davis 03-03-2007 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I watched a buddy of mine shoot a small buck from across a valley. The buck ran down the hill about 40 yards and crashed, dead as a fart. Interesting thing is - the only hole in the animal was through the ear. It looked like it had been tagged on the ear for monitoring or something, but it was a bullet hole. I guess it died of a heart attack!?
That reminds me of not only the most impressive shots I have ever made, but also the weirdest. Before I say any more, I will clarify it by saying this was just pure luck, even though I did have a lot of practice with the sling shot.
I was about 13 or 14, and I shot very high up in a tree at a downy woodpecker with my wrist rocket shooting ball bearing shot. I shot one time, and the bird fell dead to the ground. The funny thing about it is that I could not find where the ball bearing hit the bird. I even plucked it, but could not find a scratch on the bird. I'm still not sure what happened.

Sorry, I just noticed in subject title "...shot on a deer."

C. Davis