Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting >

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

ORIGINAL: AnnaMarie

Here's a question that is so prevalent in Texas.....Do you agree with high-fenced hunting? I love to hear people's responses and reasoning, so lets hear it..........
In all due respect, I'm sorry, I'm not going to go there.[:@][:'(][][:-][&o]

Bobby
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 PM

They have that with elk here in ID, but the state is trying to do away with it. One big elk "rancher" here had alot of elk escape and the governorcalled for them to be shot. Not to mix the "tamer" elk with the wild ones, due to fear of diseases.
I wouldn't hunt it, but has to be a lucrative business. The city slickers pay top dollar to be guaranteed an elk. Why ranch cattle when there is elk and a higher profit in it.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Dominant Buck

To Each His Own!!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

High fences should be only used around prisons.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Having participated in the debate about them in my state I took the time to examine the types of high fenced ranches being offered, both in my state and others, and the ones in Texas are generally huge compared to the "pic n' shoots" in Indiana. The largest one here was only slightly over 1,000 acres, with shooting pens no larger than 6-10 acres with limited cover and assistance from the ranch hands driving the game toward the shooters. To my mind this is simply slaughter, not hunting, and I have actively worked to help with their eradication since they are not in the least sporting and reflect badly on hunting. A ranch encompassing thousands, or even hundreds of thousands, of acres with ample cover and escape friendly terrain is not what I would class as a "pic n' shoot" since the game has a sporting chance to escape. The high fence itself is irrelevant to me, the size of the shooting area and cover is far more relevant. I don't like the concept of such places in general though, and will never patronize one.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree to each his or her own!! Buts its not a Hunt its a Harvest!!! Walt
Old 03-02-2007, 06:02 AM

i have hunted the high fence places and like everybody has been saying it depends on how manyacreage they have fenced. i hunted one in Maine and it was pretty challenging but i am against the 10 acre pens.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

15,000 acres would be different from a 50acre fenced in peice.. I personally wouldnt hunt any fenced area. I take more pride in taking deer wild.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Host of Hosts

Not my cup of tea
Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 AM

as for the feeders if you hunted in south texas i would be sure all of yall northerners would use one on ur property and they are a great way to bring in hogs but i like that one input on here sayin high fences belong around a prison i dont care how big it is to me this is just slaughter dont even bother calling it hunting

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.