HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Interesting night (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/182389-interesting-night.html)

Buffdaddy 02-26-2007 10:22 PM

Interesting night

Was out ridingtonight and me and my buddy saw this young doe on the side of the road sitting there so we stoped and looked. We got out and it ran a about 20yards stumbled and then fell. We walked up to it again and it didnt move so we slit its throat. We figured the deer had gotten hit or something but we found no marks or anything that seemed unusual. Afterwards i felt kinda bad and wondered whether or not we did the right thing but i think we did. So now i go this deer in the back of my truck on ice wondering what to do? Wondering if it may be infected?

deernutz 02-26-2007 11:06 PM

RE: Interesting night

Well considering you might have just broke the law because I don't think theres a deer season open right now anywhere. It might not br a good idea to post this. What state is this in. I grew up in WI. I'm not by any means saying it's CWD for sure, but it sounds like it. No visible signs, and stumbling.Deer get sick too. So maybe you just came across a sick deer. You should have called the warden.

Rebel Hog 02-26-2007 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: deeznutz

Well considering you might have just broke the law because I don't think there's a deer season open right now anywhere. It might not br a good idea to post this. What state is this in. I grew up in WI. I'm not by any means saying it's CWD for sure, but it sounds like it. No visible signs, and stumbling.Deer get sick too. So maybe you just came across a sick deer. You should have called the warden.
My thoughts exactly! In FL it is illegal to take Deer which have been hit or killedwith vehicles untill aGame Warden has released it to you!

deernutz 02-26-2007 11:17 PM

Yeah it didn't sound good. I understand wanting to kill it because it was suffering but if your going to break the law don't post it. If I'm wrong sorry, and I stand corrected.

uncle matt 02-27-2007 11:16 AM

We (me and you) can now only look back on this as a learning experience. I'm not so sure aConservation Officerwould.

There was obviously a problem with the physical condition or state of the deer. A deer, even wounded by gun or arrow, will not willingly let you slit it's throat. CWD,struck by vehicle, illness or some other injury or condition? We'll never know w/o an autopsy. (Calling Dr. Quincy, calling Dr. Quincy)

Learned from looking back?

1. Let nature take it's course. Things like this happen quite frequently (you were only aware of it because it was near a road you were traveling).

2. You "took a deer by illegal means".

3. You took a deer out of season.

4. You took a deer without a valid permit.

5. You are now in possesion of a deer that...#2, #3, #4.

6. Your vehicle could be confiscated.

7. The deer is of no use for consumption if it wasn't gutted.

8. Should have called the Conservation folks to let them deal with it.

9. Don't repeat these sort of things. (Loose lips sink ships)

10. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT? (Hint - the coyotes aren't picky eaters)

Not all is lost, knowledge has been gained.

lrhuntr 02-27-2007 12:21 PM

Yea I agree with everyone, It's not a good idea to post things like that. Even though I think it'sagood idea to put any animal out of it'spain, itwasn't legal and therfore you shouldn't have done it. I just read thattwo West Virginia guys were fined for posting pics and talking about and illegally killed buck online. They were tipped off tolocal wardens and the rest is history.

gamehunter1269 02-27-2007 01:44 PM

be careful....very careful

tlutterba 02-27-2007 03:35 PM

I would dispose of the deer immediately and don't get caught doing it. And you DEFINATELY shouldn't of posted it on here!

AJ52 02-27-2007 05:33 PM

Wowww - Killin it was really a serious error in judgement(Dumb).

Posting it HERE was a huge Brain Fart beyond belief

Now Go to Your RoomYour Grounded !

wis_bow_huntr 02-28-2007 07:56 AM

Chances are this deer was no sick or infected with CWD. Chances are this deer had severe internal injuries from eith being hit by a vehicle or some other reason. If a vehicle hits a deer it doesnt always leave any noticible marks, I have hit 23 deer in the last 15 years and most of which all got up and walked away like they were unharmed. This deer could have been hit moments before you arrived to it. Im going to say this deer was dyeing of internal injuries.