HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/182320-i-feel-sorry-people-deer-hunting-michigan.html)

andrewjoseph 02-26-2007 03:22 PM

I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan

Ive

Red Lion 02-26-2007 03:30 PM

RE: I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan

Yeah I watched part of that episode as well. I thought it was nice that he got a chance for his dream hunt though.

andrewjoseph 02-26-2007 03:34 PM

I

Texas Hog Hunter 02-26-2007 03:41 PM

They must have been small if you guys are talking about it like and no one has commented on it yet.

sjsfire 02-26-2007 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I thought thatthe guy seemed like he was a great guy and deserved to win the trip. I am seriously not trying to be rude about he deer they had mounted at the beginning, they just dont seen like somethin that I would consider mounting.

That guy was so nice that I wish they could come down here and hunt with me.

So, if you really feel that way why don't you try to find out who he is and contact him for a invite?

takedownfreak123 02-26-2007 04:08 PM

Hey I livein michigan I'll take a invite. I saw that episode he should have shot that 10 point at first, he should still be proud nice guy.. I agree the deer are small but some big one have been shot. Up were I hunt in montmerncy I shot one of the biggest bucks a decent 6 pt and my dad has been hunting up their for over 25 years. If you guy's want to see some of the bigger bucks shot in migo to WWW.buckfax.com. Their was a 180 class shot close to were I hunt.

Wayspr 02-26-2007 05:05 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I watched this hunting show Sunday morning where they pick someone and take them on a hunt of a lifetime. They picked this guy from Michigan who had buck hunted all of his life. They showed some of the nounts at his house and they were really small and pathetic.

Then they went to Saskatchawan for the big hunt, he came home with a 8 point buck that was very thin in the rack and narrow. He freaked out about this trophy because he had never seen a bigger deer.

What an idiotic thing to say. I hunt in the deep south and have harvested several mature (4.5 - 5.5 years old) bucks. Down here a mature whitetail will rarely gross more than 120 with the average being near 100. Does that make my trophies "small and pathetic"? Just because you hunt in an area that has great genetics, food supply etc. does not make your trophies any greater. My greatest trophy buck only scored 108. The reason he is my greatest trophy is that I hunted this deer for three years. When I finally got him, I estimated him at 6.5 years old. His rack had decreased in size from previous years. By your measure, he is pathetic, by mine, he is a trophy. He took every bit of hunting knowledge I had including getting on stand at 3:00 am since he had long before learned that most hunters enter the woods just prior to sunrise. I was fortunate enough to harvest him 10 mins after sunrise. Don't be so quick to judge others trophies strictly by the size of bone on his head.

andrewjoseph 02-26-2007 05:48 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Wayspr

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I watched this hunting show Sunday morning where they pick someone and take them on a hunt of a lifetime. They picked this guy from Michigan who had buck hunted all of his life. They showed some of the nounts at his house and they were really small and pathetic.

Then they went to Saskatchawan for the big hunt, he came home with a 8 point buck that was very thin in the rack and narrow. He freaked out about this trophy because he had never seen a bigger deer.

What an idiotic thing to say. I hunt in the deep south and have harvested several mature (4.5 - 5.5 years old) bucks. Down here a mature whitetail will rarely gross more than 120 with the average being near 100. Does that make my trophies "small and pathetic"? Just because you hunt in an area that has great genetics, food supply etc. does not make your trophies any greater. My greatest trophy buck only scored 108. The reason he is my greatest trophy is that I hunted this deer for three years. When I finally got him, I estimated him at 6.5 years old. His rack had decreased in size from previous years. By your measure, he is pathetic, by mine, he is a trophy. He took every bit of hunting knowledge I had including getting on stand at 3:00 am since he had long before learned that most hunters enter the woods just prior to sunrise. I was fortunate enough to harvest him 10 mins after sunrise. Don't be so quick to judge others trophies strictly by the size of bone on his head.
Good for you, the only thing I would disagree with you about is that what I said is idiotic. Shooting smaller deer is just the same amount of fun and takes the same amount of skill. I dont want to hurt anyones feelings with a factual statement. Those were small trophies, smaller than I would mount. Thats it.

Congradulations on hunting the same deer for three years and getting him, that sounds cool. If I put that on my wall in my basement my friends would make fun of it and make me feel stupid.

All I was wanting to comment on is that I was suprised about what others would consider to be a trophy buck and that we are spoiled in this pat of the country. My second main point was that to get in a hunt of a lifetime you dont need to go to Canada, go to Iowa, Nebraska, Illinios, and many other locations where the deer eat corn and other wieght builders, not acorns, nuts, bark and grass.

Feel free to put a 55 pound doe mount on your wall if there was an unusual story behind it. Put a two headed skunk on your wall. Dont let some random guy in Iowa that you will never meet hrt your pride because he is commenting on the fact that deeer up in Michigan are skimpy and small.

mauser06 02-26-2007 06:05 PM

not to be a smart@$$ but i personally feel bad people that think like you. the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. hes taking legal deer. if he wants to get them mounted whos to stop him?? if i wanna shoot a spike and do a full body mount of him whats wrong with that?? maybe it was a special hunt, or my first buck or my first with a bow etc etc and meant something?? theres a heck of alot more to hunting than antler size...heck...you cant even eat them antlers! to each his own....but i feel bad for "trohpy hunters" more than guys that shoot little bucks.

i dont have a problem with trophy hunters...everyone likes a nice big rack..but man...to bash a guy and "feel bad for him" because he mounts small bucks?? thats bad.

Wayspr 02-26-2007 06:18 PM

I did not see the show that you referred to. To say that Michigan deer are "skimpy and small" is not accuarate. Michigan currently ranks #10 overall in total B&C book deer. Sure, this does not compare to Iowa's #1 status but does not mean that all deer in Michigan are skimpy. The hunter that won the hunt may be a damned good hunter. He may be forced to hunt overpopulated public land where deer do not reach their potential. He may choose to shoot younger deer. Who knows?

A bit of advice, get new friends so that you don't have to feel inadaquate unless you put a 160" deer on your wall.