Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan >

I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan

Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan

I wan to alter the meaning of my post, I realize that it may have come across as rude. Its hard to convey what you are trying to auctually say sometimes over the internet.

I was suprised at the sizes of deer there, and that is basically it.Mount whatever you want, but Im not spending $400 on a mount unless its something that I might see at Cabelas or Bass Pro on the wall.

Deer are bigger here, but that does not mean they are better. Unless you are part of the 95% of the hunting world that seeks size in body and rack. I just dont want to sound rude by my post earlier, I dont like it when people put eachother down on these sites.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

I somewhat agree with you andrewjoseph, but it is true that the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I too hunt in the deep south and the biggest buck me or any of my buddies have ever taken in 10 years of hunting for each of us is a 110 3/8 10 pt that I shot this past December, and my best friend that is among the buddies I mentioned shot a 109 7/8 10 pt in this past January on the same piece of land. We are extremely proud of them, and they are two of the biggest deer taken in our county in the last 20 years.

However, in the recent Outdoor Life issue they had an article on squirrel hunting in Louisiana, and a picture shows a guy in his house with rack mounts of very small spikes (Like a total score of 5") and 4-pts, and I don't agree with this. My truck bed and my buddies' truck beds are full of 2-7 pts, and our barn out our hunting camp is full of 2-10 pts that are just hanging on a beam with an antler hanging over each side. I can't even fathom spending the $30 for the do it yourself kit on a spike or 4 pt, and especially the $75-$150 that taxidermists charge for an antler mt.

So I geuss I'm split.

As a side note, we are proud of our spikes and 4 pts also, but many of them are killed in the older years. I shot a 4 pt this year that was aged at 8 1/2 years old, and was well past his prime, along with a half-rack three pt that was atleast 6 1/2 years old.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Andrewjoseph,
No need to apogize, I would give my left nut to be able to hunt Iowa whitetails on a regular basis. We all strive to harvest the biggest deer in the woods, whether thats a 110" or 170". That is one of the things that makes whitetail hunting so special, whether its south Alabama, south Texas or Iowa, these wonderful animals have a very unique ability to adapt to its environment making it truly special each and every time one is harvested by fair chase.