HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Mineral Licks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/182096-mineral-licks.html)

CEARLEY1031 02-25-2007 05:45 AM

Mineral Licks

I need more suggetions on mineral licks. In the past I have used pellatized
salt for water softeners. It wasn't long and the deer had a hole dug 3ft X 3ft. I haven't done this for several years. However , I am excited about the 2007 season in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. I am planning on establishing several minerals licks next weekend. Any suggestions????

KBacon 02-25-2007 06:11 AM

RE: Mineral Licks

Salt is not a mineral lick....

If you want a mineral lick that will actually help the with deer and antler development you need to ad some minerals to the salt.

Go to you local Tractor supply or CO-OP.. and get some mineral salt.. and something high in dicalcium phosphate. We mix those 1/3 mineral salt, 1/3 dicalcium phosphate, 1/3 stock salt.

If you only buy a 50# bag of each.. you'll only be out $20-30 total.. and you'll have 150# of mineral for you licks.

Derag2 02-25-2007 06:39 AM

why do you even put plain salt in the mix? the mineral salt is gonna have plenty of salt in it already..... Just use the other two and maybe throw in some dry molases for extra spunk.

KBacon 02-25-2007 07:37 AM

the molasses might be a good idea..

We used to use 1/2 & 1/2 like you stated... but the deer hit it harder after we added the stock salt. I don't know why.. they just did.

Outdoor 02-25-2007 04:11 PM

KBacon
Tell me more about this >>> do you just mix them and place it in a container? Will Molassas clump it together?
Whats the process?

DANTHEHUNTER 02-25-2007 04:31 PM

1 part di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores, comes in 50lb bag @ around 11.00
2 parts trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without medications
comes in 50lb bags @ around 5.00
1 part stock salt,ice cream salt, comes in 50lb bag @ around 3.00

Directions
use a 3lb coffee can or similar can to measure with.
mix together well but not until ready to use
dig or tear a circle in the gound 36in wide and about 6in deep
mix mineral with the soil

Maintenance
replenish in 6 mo. with fresh supply and then every year after that.

This should do it for ya. If you are going to do alot you will need two bags of the trace minerial. This works well for me and they just seem to tear it up. I have been using it for 10 years.

matters 02-25-2007 05:35 PM

1 part di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores, comes in 50lb bag @ around 11.00
2 parts trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without medications
comes in 50lb bags @ around 5.00
Use Dried molasses unstead of more salt this will bring the deer in quicker and they don't need any more salt than what is the trace mineral salt

DANTHEHUNTER 02-25-2007 05:40 PM

Yea we used it to get them there to , but they are after the salt so that is why I put more in. With out it they seem to stop using it as much.

matters 02-25-2007 06:31 PM

from what I've been told the di-calcium phosphate is too sour to eat alone that is why you put the salt and molasses in it. calcium and phoshpate are important to antler growth so i've been told

DANTHEHUNTER 02-25-2007 06:45 PM

Yea they need them both and try hard to supply it to them. My problem is the surrounding hunters get to shoot them to.I only have 200 acres of mine to hunt on so it is a challenge, but around me is alot of open ground so I have the hidding spots and the bedding areas.I do have a hard time keeping them in the mineral if you back the salt down, they just seem to stop if there isnt alot of just pure salt.

matters 02-25-2007 06:52 PM

Keepem there with corn and lots off it.

CEARLEY1031 02-26-2007 03:54 AM

THANKS FOR THE INFO

tlutterba 02-27-2007 03:38 PM

I do not know if there is a Rural King near you.. It's simply a farm store, but they a mix called "Big 6". Its made for horses, but it has everything and more that deer use for antlers.. Plus its cheap and works!

Virginia Mike 02-28-2007 09:34 AM

I have been using "lucky buck" bucket of minerals for two seasons now and have seen a tremendous improvement on the headgear on the land I hunt. I will continue to use it and see what happens in 5 years. Then some of the yearlings when I started will be mature. It is a little pricey, but it is working.