Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Satisfied with one hour hunt.

Old 12-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Satisfied with one hour hunt.

Just wanted to tune in on my successful morning...I started bow hunting this year,and only got one shot out of nearly 50 times seeing deer, which I missed. This weekend was going to be the first chance I had at rifle season so far, so I was pumped about getting to take the ol' .30-06 out still hunting. I wasn't able to go out on saturday, so I was itchin this morning, went out to stalk, left the house at 9, called dad at 10:15 to rub it in his face that I already got a doe. I've still got a bad need to fill my archery tag, but I really really REALLY appreciate the increased range of rifle hunting, more than ever.

Pretty fat doe, I figure she weighed at least 150 dressed, I didn't scale her, but I compared her to my rottweiler, who's sitting on 140, and she was noticeably heavier.

And to think, I almost traded that rifle in!!

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Satisfied with one hour hunt.

congrats! i love them short hunts..i tagged a big fat doe at 8 and at 925am was tagging my first buck...sat for about 3 hrs and got 2 deer and my dad got one..that was a great 3 hours! congrats..them doe are pretty plentiful..i dont see why so many people dont hunt does!!

Old 12-08-2002, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i have been hunting all season long. somedays i am out there from sunrise till sunset. i still havent gotten myself a deer.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:30 PM
AK

Congrats on your deer! Due to work, family, and a pitiful vacation leave package, the majority of all my hunts are 2-1/2 hours or less, usually before or after work. Many last only 15-30 minutes, but occur in the morning and evening...the best parts of the day. Those hunts manage to produce deer for me year after year.

My shortest hunt occured during last year's gun season. After racing to my stomping grounds after work, driving out the end of the field instead of walking, and literally running to my spot while wearing my work clothes, I shot a doe not 30 seconds after reaching my brush blind. Talk about just in the nick of time! Though quick, that kill pales in satisfaction compared to most deer that I actually had to work for.

Old 12-08-2002, 08:36 PM

CONGRATS
Old 12-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I got mine yesterday at 5:45pm just as I was starting to leave. I stood up and picked my pack up, turned around and out he came. I sat back down in a hurry and one shot later it was over but took me till about 12pm to get him back.
Im glad I stayed becouse today was the last day of mule deer season and it has rained/snowed all day. Those fields would have been a big mess and I do not have 4 wheel drive.
Oh, not official yet and I will know tomorrow but we think he will be between 200 to 275 lbs. field dressed. Getting him out he seemed more like 500.
Rack isnt real big but nice big deer.
Take care,
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well nomercy congrats on your doe, bow hunting is gun hunting taken to the nth degree, it took me three seasons to get my first with a bow.

Who that is a HUGE deer, congrats.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I definitely know how short hunts because of time goes AK. I'm a full time student at K-State, and only get two days a week to juggle my fiance, hunting, and work on the farm.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 12:15 PM

Congrats on the Doe! I left for my spot at 6:45 on sat arrived at the spot at 7:10 and at 7:40 got a nice doe. had already passed on three deer a little far off and not sure if the one was a buck but when this one came in to about 20yds I couldn't pass up the shot. Took me about 2 hrs to drag her out though. I'm not as young as I used to be!