Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle and Muzzelloader review

Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Rifle and Muzzelloader review

Yeah, that's the only time you're allowed to use inlines here, with the exception of an early muzzleloader season which is like 3 days long.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soggy, unless your in a special regs zone the inline is legal for the early doe season and the rifle season. the early doe is like 2 wks long. As far as your rifle question there is so little difference in all the cartridges you mentioned it's a wash.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

buy a T/C Encore, this way you can interchange barrels from rifle to muzzle loader. IF i was going to only buy 1 gun/barrel for hunting deer and bear....it would have to be a .300
Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must agree with red lion on the 30-06 it is the most versitle rifle out there you can hunt just about any animal out there with it. Between the light loads and the heavy there is nothing in North America it won't handel.

As for muzzle loader I would keep away from a flint lock for a first gun as these can be tough to use in a hunting situation. Your best bet starting out would be an inline and If I may suggest a T.C. Omega. I have been shooting muzzle loaders for over 30 years and I have never found a more reliable and accurate muzzle loader. There are a lot of muzzle loaders on the market today but you will never find one with the warrenty that T.C gives a life time warrenty parts and labor to every owner of their guns you don't have to have bought it new something wrong ever its covered. Now there has to be a reason they can do that.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

For deer and black bears any of those listed will work just fine, coupled with the proper bullet elk/mooseGTG. Boils down to what you really want/need, shootability, range and ammo availability(if not a reloaded). If recoil is a factorfrom least to most(never said what 7mm or 300 so I'll includesome of the various versions to the list)7mm 08, 270 win/wsm, 280 rem, 3006, 7mm Rem Mag/WSM, 7mm STW,300wm/wsm, 7MM RUM & 300 Wby/RUM.

ML I'd agree with redlion if you can use smokeless powder then look at the savage 10II. If not TC Truimph or Encore would be my suggestions. Cheaper ML Omega Z5, CVA or NEF.

Best of Luck
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

Soggy, unless your in a special regs zone the inline is legal for the early doe season and the rifle season. the early doe is like 2 wks long. As far as your rifle question there is so little difference in all the cartridges you mentioned it's a wash.
Maybe you didn't notice that we don't live in the same state.

Our early doe season is somewhere between 3-5 days long, and I'm not even in the state during it because I'm in Colorado for a Mule Deer/Elk hunt. And I figured that you were allowed to use an inline in all states for rifle.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duh... I live in the PRNJ and hunt PA.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Actually I checked earlier today, the early doe season is 1 week long. But still, it's 1 week that I won't be there.