Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

May be old news: Jim Zumbo

Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: May be old news: Jim Zumbo

Zumbo, Everytime I see him hunt it is a five star catered affair with hot tubs and 70 yr. old wine. May be he should get back to hunting basics.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zumbo's statements (which are still up ona Brady Campaign's blog):

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting.
We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.
Read the last sentence carefully. See the word "ban" in there.[:@]

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=885 08969&MyToken=825c1a36-3495-475e-a7fa-33bdfb14f4dbML
Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

While don't like Zumbo much, I tend to agree with him on this.

Some of his language was a little harsh, but generally - when I pass down the tradition of hunting to my son, I'm not holding up an AK-47 as the ideal firearm - nor will most of you.I don't think he said anythingthat most ofus hunters don't already agree with.
I don't agree with any of it. AR's make fine varmint rifles, and many military rifles make fine hunting rifles. Our modern bolt rifles stem from military rifles.

I read his statement - and I don't think he said that they should be banned or anything. I also remember him saying that it was HIS opinion that hunting should be done with a "fine sporting firemarm", and that he does not want the general non-hunting public to EVER associate hunters' firearms of choice - with arms used by criminals or "terrorists" as he said.
Guns don't make the terrorist. A gun is an inanimate object, who's use is determined by the user. Hunters not using them only adds to the stigma, and it is sad to see hunters here contributing to that stigma.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Sign me up for the Jim Zumbo fan club. Good man making a normal observation, IMO.
All he did was encourage the anti's to squash people like me. And if think you are safe, think agains. Allow them to squash me today, and they will be free to squash you tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a reply I had typed on the blog before it went down:

I realize people make mistakes and you are no different. However, your position as a high-profile spokesman for hunting and gun ownership places tighter tolerances on what you do and say. Every word and action is subject to public scrutiny. Unfortunately, good deeds go unnoticed because they are expected, while any miscues along the way draw ire from all directions. I hope lessons learned from mistakes made here are not repeated by yourself or others in our community. Unfortunately for us, words are like bullets. No matter how bad we want to, we cannot bring them back.

As for your beliefs re: "assault" rifles, I do believe you when you say you have no expirience with them. I own one (a CETME), and I find it a very valuable hunting tool. In fact, I frequently terrorize wild hogs with it. Now, you may not consider this sporting, but not all hunting is sport hunting. I think yourself and many other hunters forget that. Sometimes the goal of hunting isn't for sport, but for eradication of invasive pests, population control, and controlling population dynamics.

It disturbs me to see hunters and gun owners start preying own their own. The flock that doesn't stick together makes easy prey for the wolves. Trapping has been the early victim, but if this line of thinking keeps up, it won't be the only victim.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Come on NT - he's not trying to squash your hunting rights. He's just stating the obvious - that an AK 47 is overkill for varmint hunting.I don't really see how anything Zumbo said was out of line. This is a fella who's been living in and writing about the outdoors for ages. He's just giving his opinion, and frankly, I agree with it.

As far as the "give an inch and they'll take a mile" argument - I don't buy it for a second. I know you're a smart guy, and you understand politics, the judiciary, government and society. There are forces pulling in every conceivable direction, so to think that some sweeping change is imminent, or even possible, well, that's just crazy. If there was no significant change after 9-11, I'd say you're in the clear.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again - I'm an outdoorsman. To the core. My passion to be outside extends far beyond deer hunting. I'm out there year-round, doing something, going somewhere, putting miles on the bike, miles on my feet, playing in the snow, bowhunting, shed hunting, boating, fishing, climbing, hiking, swimming and just being a sponge... If it's dark, I'm probably glued to the Discovery Channel. I'm no gun enthusiast, and gun ownership doesn't dictate what I do or when I do it. They can take the guns away tomorrow, and I won't skip a beat. As long as I have air in my tires and gas in the tank, I'll always find a way to get outside, and I'll be happy. It's just what I do. I just don't see how Zumbo's position on guns makes him a bad guy or prejudices my status as an outdoors enthusiastor makes him a traitor to the outdoor community.Honestly, he'll forget more about the deerwoods than most of his critics will ever know. So, I'm not gonna sit quietly and listen to y'all trying to tarnish the guy's legacy, just because he thinks hunting prairie dogs with an AK 47 is overkill.Maybe me and Zumbo are wrong and the world is right... who knows.

That's just my .02.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly I didn't remember that he said:

"game departments should ban them from the praries and woods"

I think again, his wording could be a little better.

My take on his observation is that we, as hunters, should honor our heritage. That, we are proud of our firearms and traditions. In Jim's mind (and mine as well) - AR-15s, AK-47s, Uzis and other tacticle weapons - are not part of this tradition.

I'm all fine with target shooting, competing and enjoying these types of firearms - but when you point them at wild game - as a hunter - you are asking to be compared.

Just sayin.

FH
Old 02-19-2007, 08:47 PM

WELL QUICK SILVER...They are not taking my guns nor my right to hunt. If that day comes. I guess I will start breaking the law

All "they" need is a chink in the armour. Trapping was first...what is next ????

Why is it over kill ? Because it holds more than 5 bullets.....So shooting Yotes with 300 Win mag isn't ? a 223 is a 223....You cannot buy or shipa high powered Pullet gun in NYC, Queens or Brooklyn, NY. they considered it a firearm. does that scare ya. Not needed in the city "they say".....so more rights are gone then you think

it is person choice and when you say BAN ...you take choices away and people get angry and speak up.......Zumbo should know that. We pay his salary to go on these hunts so I think we can speak up ABOUT HIM. I watch his show ..not my favorite ...never again .....His image IS tarnished in my mind. i HOPE EVERYONE STOPS AND SENDS HIM PACKING
Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aw come on NT, EVERYONE knows that no one is out to ban "good guns"!
Seriously, Zumbo is a traitor to the Second Amendment! Again, this is part of the DIVIDE and CONQUER concept! Sure, not that many hunters use the "so called assault rifle" for hunting and you really don't NEED one for hunting (Most good AR's are as accurate as conventional "hunting guns" AND they are NO DIFFERENT than a Semi-Auto "hunting gun"! NO MATTER WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, you pull the trigger once and you get ONE shot! No matter if you have a 5-round "conventional rifle" or a 30-round AR!)
BUT, that is why the Anti's want to pick on it! Get ONE type of gun BANNED, then work on another!
Another good case is the push for BANNING the newer .50 BMG's! We all know that the 5ft. monster is easily concealed under a waist coat and every terrorist in the neigborhood is carrying one. Right!!!!
Oh, and don't forget as in the other thread, they want to start by limiting how many guns you can buy in a certain time period too! If they can eliminate the multiple-gun owners first, they can work their way down to the single-gun owners! That will be an EASY take away! Because there won't be many of us around to defend the single-gun owners by then!
With the Pelosi/Clinton regime gaining power, it is past time to stand together as gun owners! Just because it is not a gun-type that you have, doesn't mean that they won't want yours tomorrow!
As NT said, "you are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem!" There is really no fence to ride on this, and the NRA is the strongest voice gun owners and hunters have!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think Zumbo is worried about the "ANTIS" - the don't like ANY GUNS - and we all know it.

Its the public perception that he is advising on.

The non-hunting, non anti-gunpublic - is by far the majority. AND - they all know what a AK-47 or AR-15 looks like in the hands of a Security Professional or Terrorist. Lets justsay - they aren't usually hunting hogs with them.

Don't you think it would be prudent NOT to want to be compared to this ilk? Seems like common sense to me.

FH

Quick Reply: May be old news: Jim Zumbo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.