HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   hunting partners? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/180375-hunting-partners.html)

brushbustin 02-13-2007 11:44 AM

hunting partners?

I was just curious of how many of you guys and gals out there hunt by yourself?Up until about 2 years ago i hunted almost everyday of the season with my brother in law,until i saw him shoot 2 does illegaly,i let the first one go cause he said he thought it was a spike,but when he droped number 2 i said enough is enough and ever since then i have been hunting by myself,unless you want to count my 2 beagles.So i just want to know if anyone else out there hunts alone.

Red Lion 02-13-2007 11:59 AM

RE: hunting partners?

I hunt alone and with buddies. I hunt with buddies around the openers of bow season and rifle season, and then its a 50-50 split between hunting with someone and hunting alone.
I plan to bow hunt more unknown areas this year, and my buddies can be a bit lazy about actually putting forth some effort to walk into places and hunt, so I will be doing most if not all of hunting in new areas on my own.

Rebel Hog 02-13-2007 12:02 PM

Well BB, it's not really wise to be alone in the woods! Yes, be alone while on stand or in groundblind, but always try to have a hunting buddy or two in the same area y'all are hunting. Just because your brother-in-law is unethical doesn't mean everyone is!!
One word of Caution, Know your hunting buddies real good! To be Ethical, Safe at all times, Non-Drinker and has Respect For The Law.

I ran hog dogs for over 45yrs with my hunting partner and we understood each other when in the woods.

RDHunter 02-13-2007 12:06 PM

I always thought that theres safety in numbers , having a friend or two hunting with me gave me a sense of security knowing if something bad would happen my friends would be there.
As the years went on and my friends went as well ,I find myself hunting alone more offten than I would like.
I enjoy the company of my friends and other hunters with respect of each others hunting area , just knowing that theres someone you can count on in case you need help is a blessing.
It also makes your hunting adventure more enjoyable to share with your friends and fellow hunters.
Hunting on your own can give you a sense of accomplishment when you harvest that big buck and track it down by yourself and bring it home but theres no one to take a picture of you and your prize.

Hotburn76 02-13-2007 12:28 PM

I had one friend that I hunted a area with. But hunting with people can always have problems. First problem is he always wants to drag people out there that in turn think they have lifetime permission! What a pain. Then he started doing things that I am not quite OK with and do not want to be involved in. On my new spot I am taking no friends and my dad is the only person that knows about it a goes with me!

Red Lion 02-13-2007 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

One word of Caution, Know your hunting buddies real good! To be Ethical, Safe at all times, Non-Drinker, protestant, goes to church every Sunday, votes Republican, has Respect For The Law and is a Gemini.
Did I understand this correctly? You have some very specific criteria for hunting buddies! ;)

James B 02-13-2007 12:34 PM

My wife hunts with me all of the time. I have a few other buddies who I hunt with once in a while. Sadly most of my old hunting buddies are gone now but my life was richer for having shared a camp with them.

Rebel Hog 02-13-2007 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Did I understand this correctly? You have some very specific criteria for hunting buddies! ;)
Thats Correct! Why do you keep tracking me? Hey man....I'm married! Find another camp!!

Red Lion 02-13-2007 12:53 PM

What does being married have to do with anything? I'm married as well. I just find your responses to be colorful, and you a person open to a little good-natured ribbing. Nothing more and no harm meant.

Rebel Hog 02-13-2007 01:10 PM

What does being married have to do with anything? I'm married as well. I just find your responses to be colorful, and you a person open to a little good-natured ribbing. Nothing more and no harm meant.
10-4 Red!Hear you loud and clear. You need to start using your Smilies more, if not people take you serious.;)

Red Lion 02-13-2007 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

10-4 Red!Hear you loud and clear. You need to start using your Smilies more, if not people take you serious.;)
Ok, will do. :D

LSR Huntress 02-13-2007 01:32 PM

So far (I'm still the newbie hunter) I have hunted with my husband every time. I think I would like to try on my own a few times, just for the peace and quiet. ;)

Red Lion 02-13-2007 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: LSR Huntress

So far (I'm still the newbie hunter) I have hunted with my husband every time. I think I would like to try on my own a few times, just for the peace and quiet. ;)

I don't know? [:@] Do you think that your husband would let you? :eek: He may have issue with you hunting on your own and becoming a more skilled hunter than him?! ;)

sjsfire 02-13-2007 01:41 PM

There is 5-6 of us in the house I stay at and we're spread out when we hunt. But, we all know where everyone is at, what time to expect everyone in, etc. If one of us is late back to the house by 1/2 hour a few of us will drive to where they areat just to make sure they are OK or need help dragging a deer out. Cell phones or 2 way radios always on, on vibrator mode. We try to be as safe as we can.

NiceAndBlue 02-13-2007 01:53 PM

when it comes to deer hunting I hunt alone. turkey or birds i sometimes hunt with a partner. i actually prefer hunting alone. this way I dont have to worry about what the other person is doing. i like to do things my way when i hunt. plus i like being out in the woods by myself...gives me time to reflect and what not.

nchawkeye 02-13-2007 02:49 PM

I hunted deer alone more when I was younger than I do now...I have a couple of buddies I have hunted with for 20 years or better, and 2 brothers that I hunt with as well...Heck, when I go I need someone to drag out and clean the deer!!!

Turkeys and squirrels, I really like to hunt alone....I've had too many guys spook turkey before the shot.....

Steve F.in MD 02-13-2007 02:59 PM

I have a good friend that I have hunted with for over 30 years. We hunt together when ever we can. That doesn't keep either of us from going alone when the other can't make it. Also, we both try to take our kids whenever they want to go, so we are cultivating new hunting partners. I like to have someone else along as I get older....it makes the drag a whole lot easier for both of us and the shared memories are priceless.

mnsqueeze 02-13-2007 03:16 PM

the older i get the more i want someone to go hunting with me ., i used to hunt alone for many years., now i have my daughter hunting with me,. and my father,. is still hunting with me at the age of 70 ., just nice to be out there with the two of them,

travisville 02-13-2007 03:16 PM

I've never hunted with anybody, that doesn't mean I wouldn't have wanted to.

KoBear 02-13-2007 04:36 PM

i hunt with my best friend for the past 6 years.

we hunt from separate stands, but meet up at dunkin donuts for breakfast and then meet up afterwards to talk about what we saw.

djschuett 02-13-2007 05:50 PM

I deer hunt alone basically because I don't have any friends where I'm at now who hunt. Growing up, deer hunting season was always a great time to get to spend time with dad. I wish we could still go deer hunting together, but being 600+ miles away makes that difficult.

I wouldn't mind deer hunting with a buddy for many of the reasons listed here, but I would want to know the person and more importantly, know their hunting and gun handling practices first. I've gone pheasant hunting with guys who pay no attention to where their gun is pointed until they're ready to shoot and I spent the whole damn day ducking out of their gun's line of fire!

The Wildlife 02-13-2007 06:00 PM

I can say that over the last 3-4 years I have not hunted without a camera man, so I don't ever hunt alone.

Doubled 150 02-13-2007 09:17 PM

Generally speaking, I prefer to hunt with one or two people. I hunt my private ground alone though.

brushbustin 02-13-2007 09:18 PM

Wow!thanks guys for all of the input.I didnt realize that there were so many people who hunt alone,because i mostly see people together when hunting.I usally take my cell phone and leave it on silent and i take a 2 way radio and leave the other at the house.I wish my dad would hunt with me,but he has lost all intrest, but i do thank him for getting me involved when i was younger.He hates to see deer season come rolling around because i pester him everytime i see him to go hunting with me :D.Well maybe some day.

Hiawatha 02-13-2007 09:31 PM

For me it depends what we are hunting. If its geese i want to hunt with a few buds, share the work diggin pits/settin up decoys etc. Grouse hunting also i like having a friend along. As for big game though i am pretty solo. I am pretty picky and do not hunt well with others. Tried it a few times and when i suggest soemthing people look at me like i take this way too seriously which i admit sometimes i do. I do elk hunt in a group sort of. We do help each other out hauling out game etc but really we are alone while we are hunting. I have a bit of a greedy/serious/cocky personality when it comes to hunting big game so i find its best i hunt alone.

mauser06 02-13-2007 10:18 PM

i started hunting with dad. then then for the last 4 seasons i been rifle hunting with my buddys doing drives or on stand alone...i like hunting with the group doing drives...but after this year i dont know..i had a beautiful nice buck running right at me. i was sittin on the path he was taking. we were hunting the flintlock season. my buddy is a atleast 75yds away from the deer..the deer is sitll 50yds infront of me running dead at me. my buddy decided to shoot anyways..said he knew he wouldnt hit it..needless to say the buck ran hard core away from me. i was pretty upset after that. even his uncle(kinda our drive leader..farms ALOT of land and gets us permission and everything) said he shouldnt have done that..no doubt i would killed that buck. no way to miss point blank:)

butttt hes my "best friend" and dont wanna ruin that...and his uncle is a hugeee help..getting me permission and ALWAYS got me on the biggest bucks and turkeys..hes one of them guys that says go climb the big oak tree in the evening..and your on game..hes good. spends alot of time farming and knows the animals and the land..so i dont wanna step on toes and loose friendships sayin im not hunting with them anymore...

i just hope i start killing my buck in bow seaso..with or without the uncles help..i hunt alot of other land..then i will show up at my leisure and drive for them guys in rifle season..then im not steppin on toes and burning bridges..i love them guys and were like family..but that incident made me pretty mad...im sure my buddy just got excited..and he said he seen my gun wasnt up yet..(i was caulking the hammer back and waiting till the buck got close..gun was ready to roll and on my shoulder just not UP yet..) i dont know...we will see....i enjoy hunting alone..but driving with the group is fun too..

4TRACKS 02-13-2007 10:39 PM

I hunt most of the time alone .
A few times a year I have a friend over to hunt on my lot.
When I go to Southern Tier I hunt with a couple buddies .
I kind of like it either way ,
Alone is peacful but its nice to have help if needed .[&:]