Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer Hunting Caliber Question? >

Deer Hunting Caliber Question?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Caliber Question?

Old 12-05-2002, 04:08 PM

Default Deer Hunting Caliber Question?

I am farely new to hunting. I was wondering what you guys use. Here in PA I rarely see over 100 yards in the woods, but would like something accurate out to 150 just in case. I would also like something with a lot of knock down power. Thanks guys.

Shots that are True....Pass right Through!!!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Hunting Caliber Question?

i like the .30-06 myself...you hit them in the lungs they arent going far at all...i like sierra gamekings in a 165gr hpbt or 165gr nosler balistic tips...i hunt PA too and know how it is...and its fine for bear if you ever wanted too...
Old 12-05-2002, 06:54 PM

I shoot a savage 7mm mag, but I also really like the .270 If you are a little recoil shy I would go with the .270, but if you don't mind it like me then I you can't hardly beat the 7mm mag, plus if you ever get to go on a elk or moose hunting trip you won't have much of a problem.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Just about any rifle cartrage will be good out to 150yds. The previous posts mentioned some excellent cartrages for overall use. Just about any rifle you find capable of taking a whitetail will be good to 150 yards. For those times when I hunt in an area that is not shotgun only, I carry a .270Win. Modest recoil, fast and flat shooting. Good to somewhere in the range of 400yds, although I don't think I would ever even get the chance for a shot that long out here.

In most cases it is the shooter that is the accuracy problem.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

LISTEN, if you want to track your deer use a .270! Several of my hunting partners and I all use .300 Win Mag! I have NEVER tracked a deer that I have shot with my rifle!!
My Dad just bought a 7mm Win. Short Mag. to replace his heavy recoil .338 Win Mag. and he LOVES it!

Oh, this years kill was a 177 lbs. doe shot at 25 feet with 200 grain Bear Claw!!!---------Just my opinion!!!

IN THE KILLZONE!
Old 12-05-2002, 08:07 PM

come on guys why tear-up the meat a 243 with 100gr winchester only bullet light recoil increases accuracy for great bullet placement yes you will have to do a lil tracking but isnt that what hunting is all about its not a long season so lets enjoy it
Old 12-05-2002, 08:58 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Oh, this years kill was a 177 lbs. doe shot at 25 feet with 200 grain Bear Claw!!!---------<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Any more than that and you might as well get in a pickup and try to hit one on the roads!!!

Nate
Old 12-05-2002, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>LISTEN, if you want to track your deer use a .270! <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Are you high? I use a .270 to hunt elk and mulies in Colorado and the farthest any have gone after the shot was 50 yards. The .270 will kill deer as fast as any caliber out there and it kicks a hell of alot less than a 300 or 338 Win. mag. If you want to hunt whitetails with a 300 or 338 then go for it, but it is absolutly not necesary.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, 150 yards eh? that's what I call the &quot;golden range&quot;. You can use anything. A 243 is an excellent rifle and you can't beat it for recoil. If you are a traditionalist you can use the 30-30, I've always loved that one. But I would say for a beginer that a 243 is awsome. If you want a gun that you can hunt anything in north america with, and don't mind a little more recoil, you can go with the 30-06. The 243 would be my first choice for out 150 yards.

&quot;Hey ya'll, watch this&quot;
Old 12-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

OlMossy, as you can probably tell, asking what caliber rifle to use is like bringing up the old Chevy/Ford debate.lol

Seriously, glad you've decided to take up hunting and aren't afraid to ask questions. That is very important. Honestly, any large caliber is good for deer hunting but everyone has their preference. What it boils often boils down to is recoil. Some people enjoy shooting at the range and they don't want something that is going to kick like mule. Also the calibers that kick hard aren't good for younsters and women and the kick can cause a person to flinch at the trigger pull. Now the up side to them is they are like a small cannon.lol

I personally use a .243 and a .22-250. Some people don't think it's wise to use a small caliber like the .22-250 on deer but I take neck shots and I've never had a deer take a step. I shot a nice 10pt at 220 yrds in the neck and he fell over like a ton of bricks. I've got the video to prove it. The .243 is really an all around good gun and the kick isn't bad at all. My wife shoots one also and she enjoys shooting it at the range.

Remember that is doesn't really matter what the other guys think, as long as you are comfortable and accurate with your gun. Good luck on what ever caliber you choose and I hope you kil Ol' Mossy Horns!

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Caliber Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.