Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 NYS New Bill push commercial deer harvest, venison sale >

NYS New Bill push commercial deer harvest, venison sale

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NYS New Bill push commercial deer harvest, venison sale

Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: NYS New Bill push commercial deer harvest, venison sale

Commercialized market hunting was nearly the death of all hunting once, which is why we have game laws to regulate sport hunting today. I think bringing it back for any reason is crazy, if you want to buy meat go to a market, there's no meat shortage in this country.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Seems to me like a veiled attempt to kill hunting, once the population drops way down from people going out just for the money. When it does, they will start to regulate deer hunting even more tightly in NY, if they don't abolish it. It would be way harder to start deer hunting again when the populations sky rocket from no hunting.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

My question is what people would want to buy venison from someone instead of a butcher shop or meat dealer.

This seems like a good way for people that dont konw what they are doing to make a few bucks getting people sick potentially.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Senator Larkin must be looking to make hay with the various growers in his area's.The Dec supposedly has made the nuisance permit process more difficult (thank god).Orange county has a pile of deer in it,5th largest deer take in the state in 2005 I believe,2nd or 3rd largest buck take in that same year.
There are two simple answers increase the DMP's and/or have the farmers allow hunters on their properties to reduce the herd.
My fear would be that the growers just want to reduce numbers without any other consideration!
As it relates to the sale of venison I am most definitely opposed to that from a matter of principle and from the liklihood that it will dramatically increase poaching!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My mistake on the buck take.Warwick NY which is in Orange county was the town with the 2nd or 3rd largest buck take for a town in the state.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Fletch NY

I am from NY and do not think this is a good idea at all. That is what wiped out the deer populations once already!

Also in our short season, which you can actually deer hunt somewhere in the state from Sept 27th to January 31st, you can take up to 9 deer per hunter without nuicense tags.
You are absolutely 100% correct.

This is not a good idea.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Well folks, it looks like we better call our reps and start screaming about these bills, other wise they will go thru.. Rich
Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you check out hispamphlet on the recomendations of the hudson county fruit growers you should see the basis for all of his ideas.
Apparently his donors feel that deer &turkey and other wildlifeare responsibile for lots of crop damage.
probably from growers that don't want anyone hunting around there orchards[:@]