Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Color blind people going hunting?!?!?!?! >

Color blind people going hunting?!?!?!?!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Color blind people going hunting?!?!?!?!

Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Color blind people going hunting?!?!?!?!

For you color blind folks, what colors would beeasier to pick out if combinedwith orange?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can definately see someone getting shot if their orange isn't visible.

I took a 13 year old hunting 1 day and we had a deer pass behind us and there was a guy in a tree directly behind us on the next property.The shot was slightly uphill and if the kid would have missed,he had a better than 50/50 chance he would hit the person.

I told the kid he had to wait for a safer shot but it never came.The deer walked into the field and the sun was behindthe deer and blinded the kidand he could get no shot.

The orange definately made this person much safer and us being able to see it made a huge difference.IMO

This kid shot a 13 pointer the next day so not getting to shoot the basket rack was a plus.

I am not saying they shouldn't be able to hunt but there should be definate precautions taken.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

For you color blind folks, what colors would beeasier to pick out if combinedwith orange?
For me being red/green colorblind, Canary yellow would be a better color.

I heard of a study where they found that deer can't see Hot Pink very well and that hunters picked up on it quite readily in field hunting simulations. The only downfall is going to the local watering hole at the end of the day in your Hot Pink hunting gear.[]
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

I am totally colorblind, could not work in aviation in the military, failed every color test they gave me. I can not see blood on the ground, even if they are large spots. I can however, tell a person from a deer and I can see hunter orange. I don't know if I see it as the rest of the world sees it but, hunter orange does NOT resemble the color of any game animal. Was this guy hunting parrots macaws?

Tip for my colorblind friends who have to track....... Watch your game as long asyou can, go to the last spot you are sure it was. A spray bottle filled with peroxide set on mist and start spraying the ground. It will bubble white and any colorblind person will be able to see this. A light mist is all that is required and continue on. It takes longer to do this way than someone who can see blood but, it's better then leaving an animal.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

One of my hunting pals is red color blind and he has never had any problems.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 AM

This is the classic “It’s not my fault” (It’s my eyes fault). The individual didn’t get shot because the shooter was colorblind. He got shot because the shooter was negligent and incompetent. The shooter failed to follow the most basic hunting safety rules that any 8-year old learns when their first air rifle handed to them. Color blindness has nothing to do with the shot being fired. As a general rule individuals who have a disability tend to overcompensate for their disability. i.e. colorblind drivers, highway safety colors, traffic lights, deaf drivers rely on scanning much more that non-deaf. Etc. My dad drive for 50+ years with one leg and I don’t recall him getting in an accident due to his reduced reaction time on the brake.

D.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:04 AM

My father-in-law is colorblind and he does just fine hunting he just needs help when it comes to a blood trail. Pretty hard to mistake a hunter for a deer. People like that need to stay out of the woods.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: gregholland

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Colorblind or not, how can someone mistake a two legged human for a four legged whitetail?
That's what I was thinking.
me three.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I am very color blind and see most in B&W. I can still tell whatever game I am hunting from game I am not hunting. During Antler only season I can tell a doe from a legal buck, I can tell types of sucks from others and I can tell a woodcock from a pigeon from a pheasant. People shooting people has no defense - period.

Quick Reply: Color blind people going hunting?!?!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.