Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do I have any chance at all to harvest a deer when the wind is 15-30 mph >

Do I have any chance at all to harvest a deer when the wind is 15-30 mph

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do I have any chance at all to harvest a deer when the wind is 15-30 mph

Old 01-28-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Do I have any chance at all to harvest a deer when the wind is 15-30 mph

Besides the obvious answer of "you have a better chance then if you weren't out there". Do the deer move at all during wind like that? I hear the rut is in here in central AL. I'm hoping the rut will keep them moving.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do I have any chance at all to harvest a deer when the wind is 15-30 mph

They won't move as good, but I killed my biggest deer everin a wind of at least 30 MPH.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do I have any chance at all to harvest a deer when the wind is 15-30 mph

I look for theday when a cold front is coming in an the temps are going to be dropping from the mid 70's to the high 40's an low 50's. The wind be blowing between 15 an 30 or so an the days will be getting shorter an the deer will be getting their first taste of the cool weather an start thinking about the rut even more.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I once read about a study that was done, it said that deer move less when the wind is 4 to 20 MPH. At 20 MPH+ the deer movement picks up again. If this is true, I guess that at 20+ the deer get nervous enough to throw caution to the wind!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have also killed deer in the high wind, a couple of times the wind was blowing so hard you wonder how youll even be able to get your pin steady but you have to pick your shots, what I do is usually try to hunt in my double bull blind if the wind is really whipping, I also have a couple of the 50 dollar cheapo blinds that I leave out all fall, I put them out in august and blend them in real good and leave them out for days like them when mother nature has full lungs and is letting them out..Try setting a ground blind up even if it is made out of brush and logs it is defanitly safer than sitting 20 feet up a tree.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would recommend not hunting fields.

i have seen alot of deer in high wind. the only time i saw any was in cedars or other places where they were protected from the wind. but i have seen deer also stay right in the middle of a field so that they can see anything coming since everything is moving due to the wind.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 AM

I like too still hunt standing corn or cedar swampswhen its windy.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

I like too still hunt standing corn or cedar swampswhen its windy.
Me to, the corn anyway.Theres another spot I hunt thats an old gravel pit area thats good in the wind, they left all these hugepiles of dirt and gravel standing and once you get inside them its all overgrown and you cant even tell the winds blowing, the deer feed around the hills and stay out of the wind.Downside is the wind seems to to do some funny things inside these gravel piles as it carries your scent around the piles instead of in a straight line.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 AM

You can still see and take deer in wind. I think that a good piece, as to whether you will see deer and get an opportunity at least in part depends on what kind of terrain that you are hunting. 2 years ago, while hunting in an elevated box stand in 60 acre plot of pine trees, with 25 MPH wind, I got busted by a 8 pointer who got as close as 7 yards to my direct front and traveling in tight brush. I put my head down into my coat to cough, looked up and straight in front of me there goes old boy bouncing down the trail.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting in the wind. Stillhunting is my preferred method. Shot a nice buck a couple years ago, wind was blowing hard enough every few seconds to cover all sounds I made. The buck stood up at about 50 yds, knew something was up but did not know where I was. Even deer that jump often run the wrong way when wind is swirling.

If I can go hunting,I do. The weather influences how I hunt, not whether I hunt.

Quick Reply: Do I have any chance at all to harvest a deer when the wind is 15-30 mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.