Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 most shots taken to kill a deer? >

most shots taken to kill a deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

most shots taken to kill a deer?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: most shots taken to kill a deer?

What is the most shots you have taken to kill a deer?
Mine is 1,623 shots with my bow, if I count all of the practice too.

So far, just one shot with the gun, but I wouldn't hesitate to follow up on a suspected bad hit, or on an animal that was about to enter an area that might make it very difficult or impossible to recover.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:35 PM

4 first deer and i was inexperinced and so was my dad ive learned since then and it will never happen again.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

4 and it was this year.
My rifle is sighted in at 100. The buck was 225. I missed the first shot, he ran in a bout a 10 yard circle and stopped. I shot (at) him again and hit him low in the chest......he stood up and took a couple of steps backward and then hobbeled for the woods......I took a third shot and missed. I waited 20 minutes or so and headed for the woods. I found the buck laying about 10 years in the woods with his head up looking at me (poor bastard) I hate doing that (2nd time in 30 years) anyway, I shot him behind the shoulder at 10 years andthat was it.
My buddy called me on my cell and wanted to know if the japs had landed and wanted to know if i need help down there......what are friends for
Old 02-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

9 shoots! with a .357 rifle(also shoots .38 special's) i was 9 years old.. my first shot i shot his pecker off..... shakin like a leaf
ouchyou really know how to hurt something
Old 02-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

once i watched two guys unload on a running deer (spike) they both had 30-30's thats 14 shots. the deer never slowed down first shot was about 30 yrds i was laughing so hard i could not shoot. the deer ran across a cut area and my uncle killed it with one shot from a 12 ga slug (the only hole in the deer) most shots i have taken was 4 on a bear 1st shot he went down i waited about 30 mins and when i went to get him he got up and came at me the other shots all hit in the back of the neck
Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 PM

I have seen those videos of hunters shooting whitetail and as soon as you hear the rifle crack, the whitetail bolts quickly....

Either not my good luck, or that I hunt mule deer, but I have different reactions. Soon as you make the shot you can tell if it was a killing shot. Last year I shot a buck with about 10 does around him. After the shot they all bounced off (kinda like rabbits,dont run like whitetail) except the buck... he looked around like wtf... I thought I missed? He took 3 steps like he had been drinking and dropped hard.

Used 7 Mag 162 grain SST's... kinda big but y buddy swears on them. No exit! But that is another story on bullets. I liked the effect, but also like the penetration (and exit) of the basic soft points.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

I've taken up to 3 shots at a deer. I spoted a half-rack buck in a group of 12 doe and when it gave me an opportunity broadside at 60 yds, i shot. None of the deer ran, they all just looked down towards me, including the buck. I thought I missed, so i shot again. This time all the deer ran back where they had come from except for the buck, which was now stumbling down the hill. He toppled over and began thrashing around, so I aimed rightabove the spine and shot one last time. He was down for good. When I went up and took a look, my first and second shots were perfect heart/lung shots that were only about 2" apart, leaving a whole the size of a baseball in his side. Only one of them exited. The third shot hit right where i aimed.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

a doe i shot with my 30-30 single shot took two. first one took out one lung and we couldnt wait and give it time like u should cuz i got it in the evening and it got dark on us.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:17 PM

2 shots, would've died w/ one, but i couldnt help myself. Adrenaline was pumpin! I have done this two shot thing a few times!

I love the guys can admit they have not killed all thier deer in one shot. You would not believe how many of them brag about only EVER using one shot when I darn well know they have taken more!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

what's funny is seeing/hearing some people brag about "1 shot 1 kill" and these are the same very people who hate T/C rifles because they are single shot rifles. just goes to show that some people don't even believe their own bullshyt.

Quick Reply: most shots taken to kill a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.