Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Poachers about shot my Grandpa >

Poachers about shot my Grandpa

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poachers about shot my Grandpa

Old 12-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Poachers about shot my Grandpa

I was talking to my Grandpa on the phone tonight. Him and my uncle went and sat at some stands on his land to see where the big bucks are coming out, before rifle season opened on Wednesday. They were walking into the woods, got about 100-150 yards from the road, and notice a couple young deer between them and the road. The deer were both yearlings. Then a truck drove by, and shot both of them from the window of the truck with highpowers and took off. The whole time shooting in the direction of my uncle and grandpa. Killed both of the deer.

These poachers around here are terrible, I find so many dead deer after season, big ones and little ones. A lot of them just shoot deer to shoot them. And if there is a rack then they cut it off and they're out looking for more. Last year I found a nice 11ptr shot with a rifle on my grandfathers land on opening morning, that was stiff from a couple rifle holes from the night before. There aren't any GW's around here ever!!! Never have I been checked or seen a GW during hunting season. And I used to hunt everday in the 4 years of highschool, sometimes even in public areas, and near highways.

My uncle did call authorites tonight though, he's getting fed up, and realized that they're not just poaching animals, but putting everyone elses safety at risk. And instead of the GW showing up, the county sheriff came. The GW just doesn't want to drive across the county to do his job. It's a poor trend that is going on around here. It's virtually unregulated hunting around here. And when this area produces some monsters, it's even more tempting for poachers.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 12-02-2002, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poachers about shot my Grandpa

Good golly man, where is all this happining at? We had the same problem in Georgia a few years back, there is even a book writen on it called "oh no, it's the game warden" . It's about the first game warden in georgia that actually got anything done (Max Crook).

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 12-02-2002, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be writing to the head of the game department and also to the gov. about this!! He or she might get some heads rolling for this!!!

"ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP, CAPTAIN!"

Edited by - robb92 on 12/03/2002 00:42:47
Old 12-03-2002, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

robb made an excellent suggestion, write the Governor, the Lt. Governor and the Game commisioner and tell them the whole story. This game warden needs to get off his duff or get fired!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-03-2002, 07:24 AM

I would definatly call a higher authority. We as hunters can't let poachers get away with crap like that. I'm glad to hear that no one was shot it could have turned out a hole lot worse.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

what is wrong with people these days? I appericate the deer for who they are. if they kill off all the deer. there will not be many deer for us hunters that fallow the rules. those poachers need to be caught. what is this world coming to.