Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Old 01-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

So, how close does one have to get in order for it to be hunting? 500 yards? 300 yards? 200 yards? 199 yards? 100yards? What if you say 100, and somebody shoots one at 102 yards? Is that person suddenly just a "shooter" and not a "hunter"? I get tired of how everyone gets categorized here. Some say you aren't a hunter because you shoot too far. Others say you aren't a hunter because you are on a fenced property. Bowhunters say you aren't a hunter because you use a rifle. Longbow hunters say you aren't a hunter because you use a compound. Come on guys. If it's legal, and someone is in the woods seeking game animals, and they're considering their limitations when selecting shots they think they can make cleanly, then they're hunting.

What if those were prairie dogs instead of deer? Would you still be complaining? This long range stuff is just a different type of hunting. One that I'd never engage in largely because I don't have the skill set needed to make a shot like that. I won't shoot beyond a range at which I'm reasonably comfortable that I can make a good shot.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

So, how close does one have to get in order for it to be hunting? 500 yards? 300 yards? 200 yards? 199 yards? 100yards? What if you say 100, and somebody shoots one at 102 yards? Is that person suddenly just a "shooter" and not a "hunter"? I get tired of how everyone gets categorized here. Some say you aren't a hunter because you shoot too far. Others say you aren't a hunter because you are on a fenced property. Bowhunters say you aren't a hunter because you use a rifle. Longbow hunters say you aren't a hunter because you use a compound. Come on guys. If it's legal, and someone is in the woods seeking game animals, and they're considering their limitations when selecting shots they think they can make cleanly, then they're hunting.

What if those were prairie dogs instead of deer? Would you still be complaining? This long range stuff is just a different type of hunting. One that I'd never engage in largely because I don't have the skill set needed to make a shot like that. I won't shoot beyond a range at which I'm reasonably comfortable that I can make a good shot.
Why get defensive, when you have nothing to defend? Sounds like trolling to me
Old 01-26-2007, 03:39 PM

I don't consider killing P-dogs at 500 yards hunting either, its pest control
Old 01-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Will they show the videos of the other big game animals that were wounded because of poor shot placement (slight windage changes, exagerated bullet movement at extended distances) that end up with the animals traveling miles and possibly lost track of before they die?
Giving the impression that such long range shooting is something anyone and everyone can do in any circumstance is a bad thing. imo.
Just look at some of the posts on the other thread about taking the shot at a trophy at 400 yds. Ask those same people who said they would what distance they'd need to zero their rifles and how much elevation they'd need to give for their rifle andsame ammunition they'dtry this withto the fraction of inch and I'll bet 80%+ of the people wouldn't be able to tell you that. Or they don't have theequipmentto make that a killing shot(i.e. rifle, scope, rangefinder).
Old 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Will they show the videos of the other big game animals that were wounded because of poor shot placement (slight windage changes, exagerated bullet movement at extended distances) that end up with the animals traveling miles and possibly lost track of before they die?
Giving the impression that such long range shooting is something anyone and everyone can do in any circumstance is a bad thing. imo.
they may not have shown these but don't such things happen in all types of hunting. how many times have their been treads on here that talk about hitting a deer with a bow or even with a rifle and not finding the game animal. hunting is a situation full of variables. variables that can't be controlled.if you were to use this reasoning for not condoning long range hunting then i suppose you so will have to damn all bowhunters or anyone else who has lost an animal because of a slight miscalculation or unseen or unexpected problem. these things happen and are a fact of life of hunting. if you haven't lost a deer or some other animal yet while hunting good for you but one day your day will come.

furthermore about you comment on the 400 yard thread and the lack that most people don't have the equipment to do such a shot. clearly these people do. as shown they have custom rifles and all the equipment necessary.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

very well said.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

At that range, I don't think there is any doubt as to whether or not you hit the deer. Especially with a buddy at the table with you looking through the field glasses. Unlike me, maybe they can't get within 100 yards and kill a deer. Of course I can't make a 900 yard shot either.

I wish I knew what they were shooting.

C. Davis
Old 01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I can't watch the video, but i would geuss with the 800+ yard shots. They are using a 50 BMG. There was an article in this months F&S about 50 cal long range hunting. This man and wife team where hunting elk with an LAR Grizzly single shot. The guys who shoot these long range matches are getting 6" groups at a 1000 yards or better. The best ever was a 2" three shot group at 1000 yards.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow i can't imagine being able to shoot like that at that distance the most i go is 100 yards
Old 01-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hutner06... My point and I think a number of others too is that my making these dramatic videos and hyping the shots they are making it sound like this is a normal thing for anyone and everyone to do. I don't care if "they" have the equipment and practice to "make" such shots. I do care that they influence people who have neither to try to take such shots and end up wounding animals that would have had a better probability had those same hunters focused on getting a more reasonable shot and kill.
It's pretty clear. The more you push the limit on anything the more you'll miss the shot. That stands true for playing ball or shooting a rifle.

Quick Reply: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.