Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Get back to me when you've taken out a grizzly with a roofing tack like I have
never hunted grizzies but i have killed several black bears with my paslode framing nailer, now i realize it was overkill and i will bow my head in shamefrom now on it will be 4-4 1/2 ft. hickory switches[:-]

one thing that really gets me about this video is the audio, on the second deer one guy says to the other " good one my boy, you hit that one" or something to that effect, leading me to believe/know that there were some errant shots made that were not shown, overall i don't see how this could be a beneficial thing for hunting in any way, but thats just one rednecks opinion and we all know what thats worth
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

one thing that really gets me about this video is the audio, on the second deer one guy says to the other good one my boy, you hit that one" or something to that effect, leading me to believe/know that there were some errant shots made that were not shown,
Exactly,I mentioned that as well in one of my first posts. It really is a revealing statement that even the people suffering from Ramboitisshould have picked up on but somehow didn't in their ferver to believe in the greatness of these longe range shooters.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Im sorry, I just dont think of that as hunting. Whats the point. I just dont see any sport in it.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well - I come from a Shotgun only state. Gets very boring when on a good day your best of best shot could be 150 - maybe little more.That gets real old when you have the experiance,equipment and confidance to take an animal at 200-300yrds with a good centerfire.I do and have!

So now we have 2 video's that show guys taking animals out to 800-900+ yrds.So What - If these guys have the proper weapon,expertise,training etc.. to take animals cleanly - Go For It.

As somebody as already eluded to Who are We to dictate to another hunter how far is too far or unethical.Nobody!

Keep in mind there are many-many hunters that wound animals or simply can't hit the broad side of a barn at 50yrds.

These guys however are at the top of there game in shooting.The videos showed nothing less, unless I totaly missed the obvious.

BTW - The 2nd video one Elk appeared to be spine shot(wounded)??
The video then showed the Elk rolling down the mountain.I wouldn't call that or assume it was wounded at that point.If so then any animal shown in the video that ran off was "wounded" - or - any animal shot at any range that runs off be it gun or bow could be considered "wounded" and simply dies at some point in time from its wound.I don't think so.When that animal started rolling down the mountain that kinda looks like it might be considered a clean kill - NOT WOUNDED.

Anyway whether this kind of hunting/shooting is your cup of tea - IMO its some damn good shootin! Great Video's
Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

These guys however are at the top of there game in shooting.The videos showed nothing less, unless I totaly missed the obvious.
the video is edited and yes you missed the obvious, the audio is very telling, take your ear plugs out and listen for yourself

RR, not crying foul, and not questioning anybodies shooting ability, BTW i have shot on some 5-600 yrd ranges, my only, and i repeat my only comment on the video is that they leave the impression that they miss on one or wound one somewhere in the filming, now i don't care if you bowhunt and insist that a deer be within 20 yrds or that you blow your horn that you can kill one at 1129 yrds in a stiff breeze, when i hear what that guy says in the video i know that they missed, or made some bad shots, what are they trying to prove, i would be just as impressed with the gentlemans shooting ability if he were shooting coke cans a 400yrds, the difference, you misjudge a coke can no harm/no foul, blow the leg off a deer or gut shoot him, and let that get in the hands of the enemy, if you can't see the difference in the two i would suggest you pull you head out of the sand long enough to realize, shooting for distance and shooting for the meat or a hunt does not need to be combined with a "filmed long distance shooting match"

RR, i have always respected you knowledge on most subjects, and my only concern here is the presevation on the pursuit we all love, hunting

BTW, it wasn't all that long ago that folks on here were being scolded for taking shots at running deer, so really whats the difference, both are taking extreme chances, that are not required to harvest an animal

are we hunting or shooting
Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

The old "people don't have my skill so they can't talk" is a third grade answer like " I will take my toys and go home" If someone has different ethics, that does no way mean they lack any skill..

M.T. said it well.

BTW. My freezer is full too even without your mighty skill. Mine probably don't taste as good because none of them were shot beyond 225 yards. I guess I was lucky because I was just using a puny 270.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good post RidgeRunner.[8D]
Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I bow to your many more years in the field. What the Hay would I know about anything. Enjoy life in your little bubble. Hope the lady deer killer gets busted. Birds of a feather.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

So the typical way of deer hunting is pretty much boring here, you can set down or set up anywhere and kill all the deer you want, I just try to make it more of a challenge,
Might I suggest golf then perhaps? Free style climbing Mt Everest? That is if hunting deer has gotten so boring to a master such as yourself that only attempting a 600 plus yard shot puts any starch in your shorts. As for me, I've been hunting whitetails since I started with my father at age 8. I'm 41 now and getting close to mature whitetails has never gottenold to me. Can't imagine how it ever would. Guess I'm just lucky to have never become jaded by all my success like you true masters that possess so much more skill.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

, I just try to make it more of a challenge, and at 600 yds, its alot harder to get one in position for a good shot than it is to put the "X" on brown at 50 yds. Rant over
If you think that it isharder to geta shot at a deer at600 yards in open country than it is to get within 50 yards of one (especially a mature buck) then the rant isn't over the debate is. You have said all I need to know about your knowledge of hunting.

Quick Reply: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.