Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote >

deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 AM

Default RE: deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

For me it depends on the situation. I would never take one while bowhutning because i would not want to ruin my stand with the blood trail all over the place as well i wouldn't waste an arrow on it. Rifle i have shot some and let others walk. I will not ruin my hunt with a rifle blast over a coyote however if nothing moves at all, or i catch one in the field while i am traveling in the vehicle to my spot he gets the business. Only good coyote is a dead one.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Every chance I get....
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Since our coyote season, believe it or not we have one , coincides with our deer season I'd pop one without hesitation.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely!! I did this year on the first day of rifle at about 9:00AM!!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

It depends, in TX there is no season but if in the rut or early in the hunt no. I had 7 deer about 120 yards away and had a bobcat and a coyote about 50 yards on different sides of me but I turned them down. Not only because I saw deer but because there is a buck on my property whos sheds at 2 1/2 years scored 140 and a perfect 10. Hes 4 now. Think about it.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:57 PM

I have no use for coyotes BUT I have found them very handy to sneak up on WT,s. The deer are ocuppiedwatching the coyote that I have gotten within a good shooting distance. Otherwise if Iam in an area where Iam not hunting I will check my rifle out. Love those 300 and 400 yd shots
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutely!! Here there is no closed season on them, and we have no use for them.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:05 PM

only if i'm bored,ive seen deer(does) run coyotes off a wheat field:same with turkeys, their not scared at all.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM

if i see one around the house, bet your ass we've got suspicions that one got one of my cats so if i see a coyote or a fisher cat around here im gonna blast him
Old 01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

only if i'm bored,ive seen deer(does) run coyotes off a wheat field:same with turkeys, their not scared at all.
Man we wish we had your coyotes as up here the deer is a prime food source for the coyotes. A friend is supposed to e mail me a picture of one he got a couple days ago when he gets a chance. I'll post it here as you would not believe the size of them.

Quick Reply: deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.