Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote >

deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Default RE: deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

i would shoot a coyote in a heart beat b/c they eat the fawns in the spring time. Unless it was toward the end of blacktail season i might pass on it.i wish they made killing mountain lions in ca legal ,now those animals really do a toll on the blacktail population in my area.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

For me it depends on the situation. I would never take one while bowhutning because i would not want to ruin my stand with the blood trail all over the place as well i wouldn't waste an arrow on it. Rifle i have shot some and let others walk. I will not ruin my hunt with a rifle blast over a coyote however if nothing moves at all, or i catch one in the field while i am traveling in the vehicle to my spot he gets the business. Only good coyote is a dead one.
There are 2 types of Coyotes:
Dead coyotes and coyotes that need to die.

I haven't seen a yote yet while deer hunting, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to pop it. Great chance to site in your gun on a live target. Besides, even if you scare off a deer at tha point in time, if you prevent that yote from eating a fawn the next year you're actually increasing the deer population in the long run and decreasing the amount of yotes running around.

For those who say that you wouldn't during deer season because you can shoot them year round, how many of you actually go out at other times just to shoot yotes? I don't know that I would even if I lived closer than an hour from my hunting spot.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

Yes and No, usually I'll take a coyote anytime, but 4 years ago (my first year deer hunting) I had scouted a rub/scrape line of a buck (s) and hung a ladder stand. Came back two days later real early and about 15 minutes before shooting light 5 coyotes come walking to the right of me 5 yards, right by my stand and stop directly in front of me 10 yards. I thought," man I really want to shoot one" but I had my muzzleloader and I figured if I shot I'd hear deer running away and I'd be SOL. But I will take a coyote during bow season without hesitation.

This is one I took this early archery

Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 AM

Oh yea, I definatly would. My Dad shot two this season already...both with a 30-06 One was 150yds away on the run check out the big hole...this picture doesnt do it alot of justice...

Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Check out this coyote that snuck through our pet door, but I took care of him!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: ToadLicker

Check out this coyote that snuck through our pet door, but I took care of him!!!

That's just mean...but knida funny too. I sure hope the gun wasn't loaded. But back on topic, I would shoot one. Not if I thought there was a good chance at spooking any deer though.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HulkHunter

In IL you may shoot a coyote during the firearm deer season, but you must put one of your deer tags on it. So therefore I don't think many people do. I know I never have. But this may not mean that guys (or girls) don't shoot them and not tag them cause they don't know the regulation.
this is not true. the law states you must have a valid deer permit to coyote hunt during deer season. you do NOT have to put your deer tag on a coyote. they have this law so people can't go out deer hunting without tags and just claim they are coyote hunting.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM

If it offers a shot there is not a doubt in the world whether its with a gun or bow.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude- that poor dog knows what a gun is from the look on his face.Ever had a gun to your head? I have and i probobly looked like that dog.Be nice to the little guy,unless he chews up your couch,then just smoke him.
ORIGINAL: ToadLicker

Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM

i would in a heart beat

Quick Reply: deer hunting, would you shoot a coyote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.