Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why do people inflate their deer scores ? >

Why do people inflate their deer scores ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do people inflate their deer scores ?

I'm clueless about scoring. But I do see guys exagerating the weight of a deer.

I've seen guys with small forkhorns and spikes ( Before AR's) and try to say that the deer weighed 150-175 lbs.

The local paper use to list deer kills and it was amazing at the deer that were grossly exagerated.

We had 200lb 6 points and all.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Well said.....SIR ....and the rack no matter how big they should treasure the memory of the hunt
ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

Because they aren't proud of what they shoot. That's what I don't get. Someone shoots and 75" buck and then they brag about some booner they got. Just be proud of what you shoot fellas.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

The reason behind hunters posting scores that really dont match up to there deer has alot to do with not knowing how to score deer.....and yes some of it comes from ego as well.....

Old 01-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't care about scores myself if I like the way a deer looks I get it mounted. I have only got one deer scored in my life and that was because everybody keep insisting I shood. Other then that who cares. But I do carry pictures of my best deer. I shood put a couple of my kids in my wallet with the deer pics. Oh well.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because some people have inflated egos and feel the need to impress others.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM

macho, exxagerated, competeive crap
Old 01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

want and jealousy is all it is!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it is more of a case of they are just wrong.Some may stretch the truth but most is just a case of quessing and getting it wrong or we think it it smaller than it actually is.

I posted a deer a few weeks ago that scored 187 6/8.NET

The closest anyone quessed was 185 gross.

You can see just because you think it isn't that big,doesn't mean it isn't.

In the article for Kentucky Game & Fish it clearly shows the deergrossed 195 3/8 and netted 187 6/8.

This would probably be one of those that most would say I was overinflating if I didn't have the article.Heck,I was getting guesses around 160.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

That's a truly magnificentanimal there... looks like it was taken a few years back. But I wouldn't say that you were inflating at all...

But some pics are misleading... and it really helps having something in the pics to compare to... a head on the wall looks much smaller than in the hunter's hands.

I'm more referring to the guys that have a 110-120 class deer and try to pawn it off as a 130-140 class deer... ora 130-140 classand try to say it's a 160-170 class deer. It's truly amazing what it takes for a deer to make 170 mark for B&C..

I must admit.. before this year.. I had no idea how to truly measure a deer.. I had a pretty rough idea.. but now I know the "correct" way for a standard typical... start throwing those NT points in there and I get all confused. So I'm sure that some of it is just ignorance... and the other 1/2 is trying to keep up with the jones's..
Old 01-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

That was my point.When I originally posted it,it was just hanging on the wall and I didn't show the picture with my stepdad holding it.It really throws you off.

To clarify,in my original post with the deer,I did explain the deer was taken by his uncle in 1964 and given to him.Considering he pulled it out of the trash(or kept him from throwing it away)because the person that killed it cared nothing about the rack.He just wanted the meat.[:-]No ego there.

I must admit that this is one of the prettiest mounts I have ever seen.This thing is just beautiful.It has won best of show at a couple deer classics.

Enough with my hijacking.Just trying to make a point.

Quick Reply: Why do people inflate their deer scores ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.