Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why do people inflate their deer scores ? >

Why do people inflate their deer scores ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why do people inflate their deer scores ?

Old 01-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why do people inflate their deer scores ?

Small
Pecker
Syndrome
Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't personally care what my deer score... i try to score them for these team contests here and think I do a fair job of it... My largest deer may score 100" tops... but I am sure proud of him... you would still think I shot a booner when I retell the story...
I think alot of the scoring issues are just like mentioned above... many do not know exactly what they are doing... measuring spreads wrong, circumferences in the wrong spot, & tine length incorrectly... But I'm sur some do try to overinflate for attention...

Old 01-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well as for weight all mine are weighed on a state certified scale in central Wi where I live. The doe in this picture weighed 240lbs official state certified scale, the doe weighed 160 on the same scale. The buck scored 115, scored by taxidermist. The doe scored 0....hehe.

ORIGINAL: janesburg

EGO, thats it. Lets not forget guys posting the weight of a deer. Either they don't weigh it and guess really bad or they have never even weighed an actual animal to even come close to a legit guess.

I've read guys posting of 180 lb does. Like it happens all of the time. Not saying it can't happen, but it surely is not the norm. I often laugh when I read of an animals weight. Its usually rounded to the next 000("the deer weighed 170 lbs.) Why not 167 lbs? Why not 177 lbs? Because it was never weighed, thats why.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Every see guys estimate the size of a fish? No wonder they can't estimate the size of a deer too. A lot of it I think is just experience. If you don't see many 150 bucks you aren't going to be too good at judging them.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter
A lot of it I think is just experience. If you don't see many 150 bucks you aren't going to be too good at judging them.
I agree with you ryan.I have a friend at home who every second buck he sees is in the 160's however he has never shot anything over 130. Lots of people do not really know how big a deer has to be to score up in the 170-180's because they have never seen one and more so yet have no clue how to score an animal. The scoring is easy, heck i figured it out from the website, i think everyone should know how to do it and this would lead to alot less b.s and confucion.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 AM

I learned from hunting videos. That's helpful.

My biggest deer was only a 90 or 100. I'm as proud as they get though. He's the only buck I've shot and my first deer as well as a memory and trophy. That's all that matters to me. I've never seen a bigger deer while hunting. The biggest deer I've seen was about a 155 at a park--he was tame and licked my hand. I've certainly never seen a wild deer over 120 or 130.

Exxageration has nothing to do with not being able to judge. It's people trying to get attention or compete with you. I don't take a lot of people seriously until it's proven. I don't like to give them a big head until they show it's true. I always treat other as equal to me. We should all just be sportsmanlike and not turn hunting into a game.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

ORIGINAL: rybohunter
A lot of it I think is just experience. If you don't see many 150 bucks you aren't going to be too good at judging them.
I agree with you ryan.I have a friend at home who every second buck he sees is in the 160's however he has never shot anything over 130. Lots of people do not really know how big a deer has to be to score up in the 170-180's because they have never seen one and more so yet have no clue how to score an animal. The scoring is easy, heck i figured it out from the website, i think everyone should know how to do it and this would lead to alot less b.s and confucion.
I agree with this also. I treat field judging as an art form. I practice with pics too. In the last few years, I've judged several to within an inch of their actual score. Being an antler fanatic, I believe that the gross score of this scoring system best describes the size of the deer's rack.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

And for the record,GregH was the closest at scoring the buck I posted.He judged 185"(if memory serves)gross on a 195" gross deer.With nothing else to go by.That is awesome and he practices at it.

Someone that is good at it is off by 10" from a picture.What do you think the average guy will miss it by.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: KBacon

I've visited many of these forums.. and seen alot of nice buck pics. Some people post legitimate scores.. and others are grossly inflated.

Why post a score higher than what your deer really scores?

I just don't see the point.. But it seems to becoming more and more common.

For that matter, why score period? I woudl say they inflate them because the same reason people scores anyway.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX
Someone that is good at it is off by 10" from a picture.What do you think the average guy will miss it by.
There is one member of this board who can score deer within 3-5 inches everytime with just a pic. The man knows his bone, unreal.

Quick Reply: Why do people inflate their deer scores ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.