Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Permanent stands on public land >

Permanent stands on public land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Permanent stands on public land

Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Permanent stands on public land

So I was out scouting state forrest and National Wildlife yesterday. In one area of state forrest I stumble across two stands built out of lumber, with one being fairly large with an old dining room table chair on it. Why do people believe that they can build a permanent stand on public land, when it is clearly a no-go? I was kind of torn when noticing the stands; bust them up and sit them myself when season starts this fall. I ended up leaving them alone, but also believe that people should play by the rules.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Permanent stands on public land

On a National Wildlife area/refuge!! That takes some real Nads!

The farm I/we hunt is adjacent to very large WMA.The hunters bush whack deer coming onto our farm(perfectly legal) - But - We have found stands and one recently that was chained/locked to tree about 100yrds from us with fresh beer can at bottom of stand[:@]

We were very tempted to tear it down as I had a sledge and pry bar in hand.I didn't as I figured they would come on our land and trash stands.I'll wait till this spring - if its still there its down! If we find them next year we will find some way to get them out if it takes a phone call to F&G.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Yep! It's illegal on any WMA in FL and especially any National Forrest.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 AM

The biggest reason I have invested in a climber stand and a blind was in order to use on public land, as it is illegal to build permanent structures on public land. I would just like to see others play by the rules as well.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

I sold some timber 6 years ago to the IA DNR and it is state land for public hunting land.The state left the stands that we had built there. Maybe they were already there when the state acquired them such as this case.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:15 PM

Hardcore, I don't think it was the case in this situation, as the land has been state forrest land longer than I have been alive (36yrs) and the stands were newer looking, but not brand new.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:26 PM

I've seen a few permanent stands on newly acquired state land, but not anything new. There are a couple on some land that's been state for a couple years that are maintained though. It does get me mad at times, but I dont worry about it too much. There is one in a stand of white oaks where I'd like to hunt next year though. It always make me hesitant to hunt nearby, which sucks.
-- Branson
Old 01-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Hardcore, I don't think it was the case in this situation, as the land has been state forrest land longer than I have been alive (36yrs) and the stands were newer looking, but not brand new.
Pretty brazen behavior for sure on the builders part. Anybody can hunt them since they are already there; hunt out of them if you want, report them to the authorities, tear them down your self, ignore them, or if you are really bored, go up and take a dump on the seat so the guy can see your appreciation for his carpentry skills.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it is public land and not illegal to build a permanant stand there what is the problem?? if it is illegal then yes i would be mad as well, but in CA it is not and i was planning on building some for next year.....i fully understand if someone was sitting in them there is nothing i can do , but what is the big problem about someone building one....it doesn't mean you cannot hunt there anymore??
Old 01-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Its not a matter of not being able to hunt around them, its people thinking/acting as if they own the land or are entitled to privilages that other lawbiding folks do not take.
I will have to give some thought to taking a dumperooney on them as well.

Quick Reply: Permanent stands on public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.