Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gerber Blood Trackig Light

Old 01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gerber Blood Trackig Light

I had one of the Gerber lights. I say had because I lost it...and really am not upset that I did. Use it for the first deer I killed this year and all I can say is that I'm gald I had a regular flashlight with me too. The Gerber DID NOT perform as advertised IMO and certainly not well enough to justify the cost.Standard flashlight was much better.
I hear a lot of folks talk about regular old gas lanterns, but I'm a little leary of it. First off, to carry it around in my truck with the fuel...needing to be that careful would be a PITA. Second, from my experience the mantels are very easy to burst if you bump the lantern even slightly...say on a stump or log while tracking. Third, once you find the deer you have to drag it out while carrying that big ole lantern. I have a battery operated lantern, but don't knowthat it puts out the same type or quality of light as the real gas ones.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

What i do if i know the deer was hit hard and most likely dead in the morning, i found the lights don't work, i bring my dog out in the morning, without a weapon, just my knife and have him sniff him out, has worked once for me, and a few times for my boss that i hunt with occasionally.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 PM

bought one before season,tried it once on a deer we already found.a regular mag lite was 10xs better.sent it back!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM

Use a black light. You can even buy black light flash lights now. You wont believe em.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:23 AM

"I have used this device two times when ?I have had small blood trails and found that it helped out quite abit. It made the blood almost flourescent and almost jump off of the ground. I would reccommend it as a cool gadget for anyone at 40$."

i have had a high intensity light with interchangeable lenses for several years. It is not a Gerber. It is a high intensity 6 volt lightlike the cops use. With the blue lense it does make "the blood jump off the ground." Any small droplet oof blood on grass or leaves sticks right out. i've used mine to track night time blood trails of one huge bull elk and three deer for other folks. The police use this at indoor crime scenes to look or evidence of blood. Of course, there are those doubters, including those who are too lazy to look for the game they shot.

"But I have to raise the biiiiig BULL sighn on this one. We bought a pair to use on the military reservation where I hunt. We kill between 70 and 100 deer a year here and frequentlyhave to track them at night."

Did you ever try a really good high intensity blue light to track woundedgame at night? if you have not then i raise the BULL sign on you.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:40 AM

These lights are so good that Cabela's stopped selling them because of all the complaints. One of the guys that hunts here regularly had bought one and tried it with the same results that most of the people here have had. He called Cabela's and they told him to send it back for a refund, they had gotten so many complaints that they were going to stop selling them.

Bass pro isn't far behind. One star out of 5 in customer ratings.

All I am saying is that if you have a choice of spending 40 bucks on a good 3-d cell LED maglight or the gerber, buy the MAG light.The MAG light, or similar, will last for years and have multiple uses in your home, car and hunting, the gerber is not as versitile and it's capabilities are at best, in question. In every forum these are discussed, the dislikes outrun the likes by about 5 to 1.
Hank
Old 01-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

That sucks I just won one as a door prize!! Not thatI put much faith in it any way. I guessI'll give it to my daughter as I have a lights already that work just fine for my needs. She thinks the coloured lights are pretty cool