HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Dead deer strapped to vehicles (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/17446-dead-deer-strapped-vehicles.html)

huntertj 11-29-2002 08:46 AM

Dead deer strapped to vehicles

Why would someone drive home from deer camp with their dead deer in plain view for the rest of the traffic to see? I know most people are proud of their kills, but that has to be the stupidist display I've seen. Hunters should know better. With all of the anti hunting propaganda around today - this is just one more thing they can use. Not too mention, if someone isn't 'against' hunting, this is a good way to put a bad taste in their mouth.

The only exception to this is if someone is driving a car(not a truck) and they have no where else to put the animal.

tjhunter

Tazman 11-29-2002 09:03 AM

RE: Dead deer strapped to vehicles

To me strapping a deer on a car is disrespectful to the animal and as you say it can put a negative light on hunters, we claim to love and respect our quarry and yet when someone straps them on their trunk or worse yet on thier hood they are proving themselves to not hold the deer in high regard. If they won't fit in your trunk, at least wrap them in a tarp.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

JimPic 11-29-2002 09:53 AM

I don't agree with tying a deer on the car roof either.If you want to show it off,show it off to your hunting buddies-they're the ones that want to see it anyways.Also exposing a gutted deer to all the road pollutants is definitely not good for the meat.

MassBowhunter 11-29-2002 10:49 AM

Well I know in my state it is illegal to have the deer covered up. It has to be in plain sight.

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"

dpv 11-29-2002 02:38 PM

I strapped mine to a small utility trailer, so I guess it's in plain sight. I'm not throwin it in the back of the Cherokee. If I'm far from home, I'll tie it to the roof.might try to wrap it in a plastic bag to keep too much blood from drippin all over the car.

David

1950KID 11-29-2002 05:56 PM

I'm with dpv. I'm not putting the deer in my jeep. I have a carry tray that fits in the trailer hitch.

1950KID 11-29-2002 05:56 PM

I'm with dpv. I'm not putting the deer in my jeep. I have a carry tray that fits in the trailer hitch.

strut 11-29-2002 08:23 PM

I have mixed feeling on driving with your tailgate down, Seems like you are danged if you do and danged if you don't. If we do display our deer in anyway it seems like we are trying to rub the anti's nose in it{in which we ain't} and if we do try to conceal it, it seems like we are giving in to them, I know where I live when I take one to town to check it and he is a nice one my tailgate stays down whether the anti's like it or not. Why should we be concerned about their feeling, they sure are'nt concerned about ours.

THE NRA, WHERE WOULD YOU AS A GUN-OWNER BE WITHOUT THEM.
GUN-OWNERS, UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL.

BTRACK 11-29-2002 09:07 PM

I almost always put them in the truck - even in an eclosed cab of an SUV if I can, but many states require the animal to be in full view. Another thing... sometimes I rent a vehicle for a hunt - you can really screw up a vehicle with a deer inside. That can be costly. If I have a tarp its inside. But have been caught without one.. and for those times I put the deer on the roof but - this is only for point to point transport via the least conspicuous route. I cut the tounge out for pictures and transport and try to put the deer in the least compromising position to keep the visibilty down. So - generally I aggree that we do a great disservice to ourselves - especially the guys parading down mainstreet with their buck - but it's kind of like refering to killing a deer as a harvest! We do kill them and although showing the greatest restraint and respect when possible - I have no problem with the few times I've had to transport one in the open - by law or circumstance.

Edited by - Btrack on 11/29/2002 22:08:48

kgkoon 11-29-2002 09:22 PM

I think the answer to this issue depends a lot on the area you hunt at. I hunt in Arkansas, in a very rural area, and most people here would think something was wrong with you if you DID NOT show a nice deer off. Our check stations are usually at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. People walk around and look at deer in trucks. Let's face it, a nice buck is a trophy; where I live, you show a trophy off, you don't cover it up. I could see where in less enlightened areas people may be put off by the sight of a dead deer. Use some reasonable judgment.