Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting Season is over, now the waiting begins >

Hunting Season is over, now the waiting begins

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Season is over, now the waiting begins

Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting Season is over, now the waiting begins

Well hunting season officially ended last saturday, I bagged a doe on friday night, so that was nice. Unfortunately, we had extremely warm weather the entire month of december and january, it felt like it was early bow season. And what do you know, today the high is 35 degrees. I'm sure the deer will be coming out of their underground bunkers today to do some moving.

Well I just wanted to wish everyone a good last few weeks of the season, or if it has already ended, happy fishing!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:13 AM

Default RE: Hunting Season is over, now the waiting begins

I hear you dude. Deer season ended last weekend in GA. I still have 3 more weekends to hunt ducks/geese, but my friends and I are gearin up for bass/trout/crappie/striper...pretty much anything you can catch with a hook...and scoutin out some new farm ponds to find Catfish Hunter. We live on Lake Sidney Lanier, so there are alot of fishing opportunities. Time to spend those gift cards to Bass Pro Shops on fishing gear.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Yep. When I'm not hunting, I'm fishing!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM

It's always disappointing when hunting seasons wind down, but don't subject yourselves to fishing for pete sakes!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 PM

Already, started fishing. Unlike Red Lion (I guess) I am a 2 sport athlete.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:53 PM

i will hit up back into my catfishin' soon bein as i just sat up my new boat a month before hunting season and hardly ran it. but in the meantime i still have squirrel, one of my favs, and my predator hunting. the only time i give yotes peace is during deer season(unless they approach my stand as i'm leaving)
Old 01-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Last weekends trip.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM

i play indoor soccer and pheasent hunt with my uncle.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM

JUST SIT BACK AND WATCH THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL WILL BE BACK B4 U KNOW IT
PRETTY HAPPY THO I GETTA DO SOME DAMAGE AND GO SHOTGUN HUNTIN THIS WEEKEND FOR ODE
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Now the WORK begins!

Here's a video review I posted a while back. It stresses how important the post-season is.

I just had the pleasure to watch the first release from a new entrant into the competitive world of hunting videos. John Eberhart, who authored the books “Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails” and “Precision Bowhunting”, has just released 4 new Bowhunting DVDs which are a welcome addition to the current offering of hunting titles available.

Unlike 99% of the whitetail videos on the market, this series is strictly instructional. If you’re looking for kill shot after kill shot, this is not the series for you! Volume 1 stresses the importance of post-season scouting. Eberhart explains that scouting once hunting season is over allows the hunter to inspect sign associated with the rut, which is much more useful to the hunter than the sign one might see during the summer or early fall. Also, one has much more latitude in his actions because chasing deer out of the area is not a big risk. They’ll be back by next season!

This is not some dry classroom lecture! The video is shot in the field during post-season scouting. Everything Eberhart discusses is demonstrated. He goes into considerable detail about using topographic maps and aerial photographs to assess a piece of hunting land. He discusses the importance of water sources, funnels, mast & fruit bearing trees, marshes, tree preparation and understanding how crop rotations should affect one’s hunting strategy. Additionally, rubs and rub lines, staging and bedding areas, and scrapes are all covered.

I was initially a little intimidated by some of the jargon that Eberhart used. Fortunately, he has included a very helpful video dictionary of the various terms used in this presentation in the bonus materials. It might be a good idea for new whitetail hunters to watch this section first, before watching the video.

Volume 2 discusses preseason scouting, and Volume 3 looks at which hunting tactics to use during the various parts of the season. The fourth title released is Archery Mechanic 101. I look forward to watching these titles as well.

I am often asked for recommendations for hunting videos that would be helpful for beginners. This certainly fits the bill in that regard, but I believe that many seasoned whitetail hunters will walk away from this film having learned a thing or two. Also, even though the title is Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails, I believe that gun hunters would find it very helpful as well.

As always, this title is availble at HuntFlix, both for purchase and as part of our Unlimited Hunting DVD Rental program.

Okay, back to yer fishing!

-- FLIX

Quick Reply: Hunting Season is over, now the waiting begins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.