Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the biggest mistake deerhunters.... >

What is the biggest mistake deerhunters....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the biggest mistake deerhunters....

Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is the biggest mistake deerhunters....

not taking a lot of time to aim or taking a bad shot
Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Underestimating the deer's ability to smell you!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM

Getting busted by the deer's nose.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM

[/align]I think the number one is stand placement,It's not the best spot because it's not possible to get in or out without educating the deer,it's too close or too far from the trail,it's not positioned for shooting,it's not high or low enough,it's not trimmedfor shooting,it's in a place were the deer are after or befor shootinghours,it's were the wind eddys,it's to exposed.Anyone of these things not taken into consiteration and you will be wasting your time' and there are a lot of people out there wasting there time.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch how manyposts you see this upcoming year about people hanging stands in September and October. I prefer hanging stands now based on the past season(to a point). I understand that some will be getting new pieces of land to hunt or their woods may change (i.e.cutover, agriculture field planted in cotton, poor acorn drop, etc). But for those of us hunting the same pieces of land over and over again with little change now is the time to get in there cut some trails, hang some stands, disturb the woods. I still have my climbers and groundblinds if I need to adjust to the deer during the season because of food, hunting pressure, or the rut but other than that I want to get my stuff set up between now and spring and then stay out. I may do a little low impact scouting as the season approaches butvery little asI don't want to educate the deer at all. Even in the beginning of the season I prefer to hunt low impact stands that are easy to get to and not too deep in the woods, like powerline right of ways, old fire lanes, creek bottoms near fields, and other stands I can see a lot of ground from(I call them recon stands). I save my deeper stands(ones closer to bedding areas)for November/December when I am expecting heavier activity from the rut. Anyway my answer to the question is poor prep. Not having enough stands, not knowing the wind you need, not thinking about how to slip in, overhunting stands and hunting stands at the wrong time, being afraid to try something new(I know guys that hunt the same stand the entire season, whether they kill a deer or not), and basically anything else half-a$$ that gives the deer the advantage. Over and out.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

I think its being impatient and "stand jumping". Not sittin in one stand but jumpin around from stand to stand.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Lack of confidence in their ability to evaluate sign therefore causing stand jumping and lack of patience. Another one is not shooting their gun enough before season
Old 01-09-2007, 04:07 PM

bad shot once one steps out
Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

i think its between not scouting enough, and making bad shots without proper followthrough
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Thinking all deer are deep in the woods. There are lots of deer in fence lines and ditches, next to urban areas.

Quick Reply: What is the biggest mistake deerhunters....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.