HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Where should i place the cross hairs? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/17402-where-should-i-place-cross-hairs.html)

tealboy 11-28-2002 05:34 PM

Where should i place the cross hairs?

I tend to put the cross hairs just left of the shoulder/leg, about center of rib cage. I am finding my shot is resulting in gut shots. I don't know if i am aiming too far left and/or I have a tendency to shot left of where i am aiming. Where should i put the X hairs?

Split-toe 11-28-2002 06:31 PM

RE: Where should i place the cross hairs?

You're hitting pretty far back to be making gut shots. I put the crosshairs right behind the front leg, say about an inch, which should take out the heart and maybe the front part of the lungs, depending on the angle. If I pull off just a little, depending on which way the deer is facing, a little back will take out the lungs or a little forward, will be a shoulder hit that takes out the heart. If it's a nice buck, I always aim for the shoulders.

Edited by - Split-toe on 11/28/2002 19:33:56

thenuge15 11-28-2002 07:14 PM

Is your gun sighted in well. If you aim a little left of the shoulder, could been two different things depending on the way the deer is facing. Are you flenching because you are nervous? Ar you taking quatering towards you shots?

knobby 11-28-2002 08:49 PM

what??? lol i didnt understand that at all

put the crosshairs on the back side of the shoulder and shoot

if youre not hitting where the crosshairs are then either your gun needs sighted in or you need to practice more

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **

Deerhugger11 11-28-2002 11:19 PM

Sounds like your crosshairs are in the rght place. But,
1) your gun is off
2) you pull/push your gun when you shoot.

More time at the range with your gun will rememdy these problems and when you are shooting where the crosshairs are, you'll be able to drop em without changing your crosshair position on the deer.

buckhunter3 11-29-2002 03:13 AM

That is a hard one to correct without knowing a few more things.Do you hit your target where you aim at the range.Also try and shoot off the shoulder at the range after sighting in your gun.You might be dropping your gun and pulling it to one side.If so I would suggest either kneeling and using your left knee as a support if right handed or put the gun against a tree.Sometimes a support of any kind will make a world of difference.I will either sit and shoot if watching an area for a long time or kneel and shoot if possible.Also if you have a sling use it for support alot of hunters use it only to carry their gun as I did years ago big mistake.Good luck to you this year.

skeeter 7MM 11-29-2002 11:01 AM

Depends how much a little left you are talking(with aim point), but I assume in that 1' range so that should put you both lungs. I would say your pulling your shot or really not seeing the crosshairs before pulling the trigger...causing a illusion on where that bullet is aimed. I would say practice, use some sort of resting aid and be sure to see the crosshairs on you position of POI before squezzing the trigger. A buddy of mine had the same problem, was squeezing before the sight window and crosshairs matched up resulting in a far back shot everytime. The way he fixed it was range time and take his time to make sure that he was seeing what he was thinking...not the other way around.

skeeter 7MM 11-29-2002 11:07 AM

I forgot something, how is your trigger weight? If you have a heavy trigger and are having to jerk it as opposed to squezze it lightly than that can result in pulls as well. Have you ever had the triiger adjusted? or is it factory set? If factory set it will probably be in that 5-8lbs of pressure range, which is fairly high. Take it to a gunsmith and have them take it down to 3 lb range. Some triggers are somewhat adjustable, others just need some of the glogs removed or last resort is go with a Timney or the likes style trigger. Yeap, it can make the world of difference and have seen it cut 2" groups in half. Just a thought!

peter p 11-29-2002 01:38 PM

If you are aiming in the center of the rib cage, then you are gut shooting the deer.
You also said you are aiming left of the leg, (depending which way the deer is facing)to shoot it in the lungs, you should put the cross hairs just behind the the shoulder 1/3 to 1/2 up the body and no more than 1/3 back from the front of the deer.