Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often do you eat venison??? >

How often do you eat venison???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often do you eat venison???

Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often do you eat venison???

I jsut had some tonight and it was excellent!
Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Once or twice a week. I freeze a lot of chili and stews and use them for quick meals on the weekends during the season.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 PM

like twice a year maybe.

i haven't gotten one of my own yet...

For some of you guys I'm left wondering, do you even eat any store bought meat?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got my first deer last weekend, and I've already eaten 5 pounds of breakfast sausge, tenderloins and steaks and one-2 pound loaf of salami.

My wife and I could go through 3-4 deer a year if I could manage to shoot em. I hunt public land, so it's a little harder for me to get close to one. We usually get steaks and roasts, and all the rest made into burger, but we got sausage and salami this year.

I cook mine just like I do beef. I use the burger for everything you use burger for; meatloaf, chili, Hamburger Helper, spaghetti sauce, etc, and I cook my steaks and roasts medium rare. Or sometimes we'll cut the roasts up and put them in the crock for a few hours with our favorite veggies and some spice. A few slices of buttered bread and look out!

Got a recipe for four-meat chili that's just heaven in a bowl!!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep about once a week sometimes 2 but i would eat everyday if givin the
chance.. Walt
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

On average4 times a week we have some meal that includes wild game deer elk moose etc...
Weather it be the hamburger (either in speggetti sause or on the BBQ), steak, or roast...
Mon Fri nights are generally leftovers ...
Sundays are reserved for roast,Tues are reserved for salmon ,and Satis ordering in pizza, or dining out at a restaurant.....
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM

we eat venison any time non-hunters would be eating beef. i don't buy beef at the store unless its a roast. right now i have a pot of chili cooking on the stove. yesterday i had spaghetti. last week i cookd veggie soup with it in. its all we eat besides fish and a little chicken. i got 2 and hubby got 2 this year so we are eating good til next season.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg
For some of you guys I'm left wondering, do you even eat any store bought meat?
Onlymeat I buy at the store are chicken, hotdogs and bacon. I help butcher friends beef for grind androasts. I buy and butcher hogs each year for grind, chops, roasts & ribs.In the spring Ibuy a lamb and bone outfor shashlyk on the grill.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

My 2 sons and I eat about 4 deer per year. cooking it 3 - 4 times per week. We use alot of ground deer meat, because to me it is the most versitile (hope that's spelled right). We use it in everything that you would usually use ground beef for. We try to pace ourselves when it comes to the backstraps, maybe only having them once a month or maybe longer.
BUT MAN DEER MEAT IS GOOD. Plus you get that added gratification that you went out and harvested your own meat.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Crew Dawg

Me the wife and two kids eat it 2-3 times a week. We are allowed 12 a year down here. Between me, my father-n-law and my wifes Uncle and Cousin that's a possible 48 animals. We took 13 all together last year and i took 3 this year. I have a 150 cubic foot freezerfull. And i still have a week left. We serve it at family get togethers too, so we eat a lot of venison. What we have left after filling our own freezers goes to Grand parents and we usually donate one or two to the local shelter. I eat maybe 50 bucks worth of beef in a year. We raise our own chickens and i have a garden. We eat fish and small game pretty regular too as we have a 5 acre pond.
Wow, where do you live? It sounds like heaven to me!!!

Quick Reply: How often do you eat venison???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.