Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Let me re-phrase the "failure" question.. >

Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

ORIGINAL: Gangly

if everybody is just looking to have a good time out in the woods, then why take a gun into the woods? If the gun isnt needed, then you can just go out there with buddies and hang out and not fail at having a good time. BUT......You take a gun for one reason and that reason aint "to have a good time, to learn, to be one with mother nature", its to utilize everything that you have learned and succesfully kill a deer to fill the freezer. You dont bring home meat, then you failed. Yes, you can have a good time(which hopefully we all do), yes, you could have learned more(which all of us can and need to do), and yes, you can get closer to mother nature (which is one of the most calming and relaxing things i can imagine). However, you brought a gun into the woods for a purpose and task, and you didnt complete the task, therfore you failed. I sometimes am grateful for days when ifail tocome home with any meat. I love to sit in the woods and watch the nature around me, its very calming which is probably why i fall asleep a lot of times (something which i actually enjoy to do in the woods during daylight), and I wouldnt get that chance if were to tag an animal.

Hunting is fun in general, whether its for relaxation, the sport, or whatever tickles your fancy. The important part is that we all enjoy it regardless of terminology describing how our hunts ended. We dont keep doing it because we fail or suceed, we keep doing it because its what we love to do and that shouldnt change no matter what Ive posted a few times already on this topic so this will be my last seeing how im sure ive irritated several people already.

Good hunting to everybody and may we all enjoy the journey from start to end.
b/c hunting means more to me than just killing a deer. and its not my goal, but it is included in the days activities sometimes. it is not the measure of my success.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

I would never tell someone their season was a success or failure depending on if they put something in thefreezer or not, that isn't my place. My goal for the rifle season was to take a big 8-10 point I had seen a couple times during bow season. I hunted him hard, I mean real hard, and he out dueled me this year. I saw a couple other smaller bucks I could have whacked, but that was not my goal. I failed, and failed badly (I seen him 3 times during the rifle season). That being said, I had a great season, I put 2 deer in the freezer with the bow, couldn't be happier. My friends all got nice bucks, and we celebrated all of them. I am already thinking/scouting/planning on how I'm gonna put that big SOB down next year. My failings in my hunts this yearwill give me somewhat better odds of taking him down in 9 months.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kenman

I would never tell someone their season was a success or failure depending on if they put something in thefreezer or not, that isn't my place. My goal for the rifle season was to take a big 8-10 point I had seen a couple times during bow season. I hunted him hard, I mean real hard, and he out dueled me this year. I saw a couple other smaller bucks I could have whacked, but that was not my goal. I failed, and failed badly (I seen him 3 times during the rifle season). That being said, I had a great season, I put 2 deer in the freezer with the bow, couldn't be happier. My friends all got nice bucks, and we celebrated all of them. I am already thinking/scouting/planning on how I'm gonna put that big SOB down next year. My failings in my hunts this yearwill give me somewhat better odds of taking him down in 9 months.

HI Kenman,
Just curious. So do you consider your season a failure because you did not get the 8-10 pointer?
Whatever your answer, you are right.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought this was a rather simple concept to understand, evidently not.

hunting means WAY more to me than just a kill. It's a way of life. No one here has said that killing a deer is the only measure of enjoyment, or the only reason they hunt, but it is a measure of success, otherwise we'd all just be nature watchers. I don't understand why so many people just don't want to admit to being unsuccessful.

I went elk hunting this past fall. Didn't get one, I was NOT successful. I made great friends, saw incredible sights, experienced things I've only read about, it was the time of my life, despite failing to kill an elk.
I'm ok with being unsuccessful and still having a great hunt.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD
HI Kenman,
Just curious. So do you consider your season a failure because you did not get the 8-10 pointer?
Whatever your answer, you are right.
Hi Dan,
My goal for my rifle season was to take a particular deer. That goal was unrealized. I am a competitive person at heart, I hate to lose. I don't know why, but some people have a hard time admitting failure. I dont, I learn from my failings. It makes success so much sweeter. When I drop that boss buck next year, the fist pump will be way awesome.

Look at it this way...the last day of the season when I was walking out from that last afternoon hunt. I was bummed because that deer was still walking...success doesn't bum me out, failure does.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kenman,
I can see that. No doubt you did not reach your main goal and if you placed the utmost impotance of the season on that then in your mind you were not successful. End of story.

Jimmy, who is just as entitled as me or anyone else to his opinion, believes that no deer = unsuccesful season or failure.

I posted a scenario before that I will copy here
look at it the other way..you go through the whole season and kill a doe, buck whatever. but you had planned to go out 20 days this year and you only went out once. You planned a few trips with your dad but he couldn't go. Your kids were supposed to be out there with you but their grades were poor so they couldn't go. After you shot the doe you fell out of the tree stand and broke your back. Was your season successful?

In this case my opinion is that this would not be a successful season. But a deer was killed so according to Jimmy S this is a description of a successful season (sorry Jimmy i'm not picking on you. i'm only point out that you and others say deer=successful season).

Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I thought this was a rather simple concept to understand, evidently not.

hunting means WAY more to me than just a kill. It's a way of life. No one here has said that killing a deer is the only measure of enjoyment, or the only reason they hunt, but it is a measure of success, otherwise we'd all just be nature watchers. I don't understand why so many people just don't want to admit to being unsuccessful.

I went elk hunting this past fall. Didn't get one, I was NOT successful. I made great friends, saw incredible sights, experienced things I've only read about, it was the time of my life, despite failing to kill an elk.
I'm ok with being unsuccessful and still having a great hunt.

Did you stop and wonder maybe we don't all think like you? Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I don't measure success on pulling the trigger. If youthink not getting what you want as unsuccessful you have problems my friend......
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

......After you shot the doe you fell out of the tree stand and broke your back. Was your season successful?

In this case my opinion is that this would not be a successful season. But a deer was killed so according to Jimmy S this is a description of a successful season (sorry Jimmy i'm not picking on you. i'm only point out that you and others say deer=successful season).
Danny, you are absolutely correct. If I fell out of my treestand after shooting a deer, it certainly would not be classified as a successful season. Yep, even thoughtI was successful in tagging a deer. You get no rebuttal from me.

It is, and has been my contention, that just because we all love hunting and all have a wonderful time with family and friends,there isstill such a thing as failure when hunting.

I never suggested that I measure the kill as the final, determing factor, for me,if I had a great season. I always have a great time whether I shoot a deer or not. That feeling is never in question. I have never NOT had a great time hunting.

I just have a hard time understanding how someone that scouts and hunts a big old buckthat he/shehas seen for years....and when the moment of truth comes, loses out to that deer. And does not admit that they failed.

There is nothing wrongwith admitting that. Trust me, I have failed miserably while hunting many times in my life. No one ever took away my birthday....I take that as part of the entire hunting experience.

If I never failed while deer hunting, I wouldn't be here typing this. I would be sipping umbrella drinkson my own island.

Maybe he heard/smelled/saw you just as you got ready to shoot. Maybe he only gave you a running shot after you failed to see him first...there are alot of different scenerios. When the dust has settled, the buck lives another day because he won and you lost. My goodness, that probably happens more often than not.

So, when I'm back after my trip and someone asks me how was the hunting?

I tell them all the wonderful things that happened.
I tell them how proud I was of the guys that did tag.
I tell them how much I learned this season alone.
I tell them of the funny stories that happened during the trip.
I tell them I had the best time doing what I love most.

I also tell themhow excited I was when I finally got a look at that big buck and how he again outsmarted me.

When they finally ask..Was your trip successful"?
My reply is "no".

Andmy answerhas nothing to do with all the wonderful things I experienced as a deer hunter.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't understand why succes is measured solely on killing something. It all depends on WHY you hunt,if it is solely to kill something,then,imo you miss the whole point.

My season has been a complete succes.I put both my kids on deer and they made good shots.

Have I killed the one that I am after,NO but that doesn't define succes.

Now if you want to ask me if I succeded in killing something,I would reply NO.Except maybe for time.[8D]
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

To me, as long as I COULD have pulled the trigger, it was a successful season.

If I had no oppertunities at all to shoot a buck, then I see the season as a failure.

Quick Reply: Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.