Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Let me re-phrase the "failure" question.. >

Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Old 01-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

ORIGINAL: kenman

Failure is a great motivator to not fail the next time. If you try and fail it forces you to work harder to achieve your goal the next time.If you didn't achieve your goal, you failed.

It's like getting a trophy for 'participating', if you didn't win...you lost. Thattrophy loses it's luster pretty quickly.
EXACTLY! If your goal is getting first place and you dont get it, do you still say that you suceeded in obtaining your goal? NOPE. No deer = Failure. It just so happens that sometimes it is better to fail than to succeed in thepresent so that you succeed in the long run of things
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Amen JimmyS
I've never understood how almost everyone can't accept failure in hunting when that is what we are supposed to do more often than not.
I can have fun, I can learn, I can get scouting done, I can enjoy nature, I can have the time of my life. But if I didn't kill a deer I wasn't successful.
I could not agree with you more. My sentiments exactly. Thank you!!!

It seems like I have been accused of blasphemy against the hunting gods because I suggested there can be failure in hunting. Seems to me there is failure in everything else in life but heaven forbid, I single out hunting.

I have beeen told I will be "doomed to a miserable life", that I am only "satisfying your blood lust",among other comments.

It was also said: "the absolute worst day hunting beats the best day working"! ...now that's profound! Never heard that before. And what does that have to do with success?

Like kenman said,"Failure is a great motivator to not fail the next time" and I live by that as a deer hunter. It is part of my entire learning experience.

If I never failedwhen hunting, how could I ever learn? I would be the best hunter God ever made, we all would be.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Rybohunter and JimmyS

I'm glad you two have finally found each other. Now you can sit around an talk about your failures as hunters. Have fun!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tschammel

Rybohunter and JimmyS

I'm glad you two have finally found each other. Now you can sit around an talk about your failures as hunters. Have fun!

A big AMEN.......
Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

edit
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

At least we are man enough to admit we often fail. and accepting enough to know that's how it is SUPPOSED to be. We don't change the definition to make every hunt successful.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

From Jimmy S
Let me asked it differently:
If you failed to tag any deer, or whatever deer you wereafterduring the hunting season, did you have a successful season?

If you define a successful season as killing a deer the No you were not successful.
However I have a lot of goals for the season including spending time in the woods with my friends and family. So Jimmy if I take your question literally and ask myself "did I have a successful season"? I would have to say that the some of my goals were met and some were not. If I felt good about the season overall it was a success. That's my opinion.

Now someone else might weigh the actual kill as more important to them and consider the entire season as unsuccessfull.

look at it the other way..you go through the whole season and kill a doe, buck whatever. but you had planned to go out 20 days this year and you only went out once. You planned a few trips with your dad but he couldn't go. Your kids were supposed to be out there with you but their grades were poor so they couldn't go. After you shot the doe you fell out of the tree stand and broke your back. Was your season successful?
If that was you Jimmy you would have to say yes
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM

quote <<<<Let me asked it differently:
If you failed to tag any deer, or whatever deer you wereafterduring the hunting season, did you have a successful season? >>>>>

thats you goal. it isn't mine. if i don't get a deer, my season isn't a failure to me, but it is to you. personally, i don't care what my season is to you, so this question is a moot point.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

if everybody is just looking to have a good time out in the woods, then why take a gun into the woods? If the gun isnt needed, then you can just go out there with buddies and hang out and not fail at having a good time. BUT......You take a gun for one reason and that reason aint "to have a good time, to learn, to be one with mother nature", its to utilize everything that you have learned and succesfully kill a deer to fill the freezer. You dont bring home meat, then you failed. Yes, you can have a good time(which hopefully we all do), yes, you could have learned more(which all of us can and need to do), and yes, you can get closer to mother nature (which is one of the most calming and relaxing things i can imagine). However, you brought a gun into the woods for a purpose and task, and you didnt complete the task, therfore you failed. I sometimes am grateful for days when ifail tocome home with any meat. I love to sit in the woods and watch the nature around me, its very calming which is probably why i fall asleep a lot of times (something which i actually enjoy to do in the woods during daylight), and I wouldnt get that chance if were to tag an animal.

Hunting is fun in general, whether its for relaxation, the sport, or whatever tickles your fancy. The important part is that we all enjoy it regardless of terminology describing how our hunts ended. We dont keep doing it because we fail or suceed, we keep doing it because its what we love to do and that shouldnt change no matter what Ive posted a few times already on this topic so this will be my last seeing how im sure ive irritated several people already.

Good hunting to everybody and may we all enjoy the journey from start to end.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

you feel the same way I do!
ORIGINAL: farmcntry

The way personally see it is if I don't get a deer my season wasn't successful. However, I hunt for meat only so I'm not picky about what kind of deer I get. If it's a big doe I'm happy. If it's a great 10 pointer I'm happy. Any deer will do for me.

Quick Reply: Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.