Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Let me re-phrase the "failure" question.. >

Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Old 01-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

ORIGINAL: tschammel

Jimmy S. Are you a failure if you have nothing better to do, than toask such a pointless question?

Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

So, by your thought, if I don't kill a deer, I'm unsuccessful? That's dumb!

Why not just ask ...

Did you kill a deer?

that is all........
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Site Buck Guru

Being out in field hunting, anywhere or any time, demands respect and shall not be deemed a failure for any reason. Man law!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:48 PM

I always consider a hunt where I see deer that I could have taken, but let walk a success. I have had deer that were so close I could have dropped my gun on my head that I let walk because I wanted to watch them or I didn't feel like harvesting them. I don't know about everyone else, but there are times when I wasn't in the mood to shoot them, I just wanted to be out there and watch them. Other times something just didn't 'feel' right so I put the gun down and watch. Some may consider this a failure, but I have always considered this a successful hunt.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

the absolute worst day hunting beats the best day working!
there is no failure in hunting, wether you shoot something or not...you do it because you like the sport of hunting not to judge yourself on a pass fail basis..
Old 01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, what a play on words - does any of this really matter?

Was there a deep message behind this thread that I am just not intelligent enough to see, or was this just a waste of time?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

We eat all the deer we kill, so I usually kill from 5 to 7 deer. And on top of that I pass on no telling how many more. Having said that, I can't imagine what would cause me to not kill a deer throughout a whole season. I may not kill the buck I'm hoping for, but I'll still kill some deer.

If I didn't have some sort of injury or illness keeping me from hunting, I could only describe not killing at least one deer in a seasonas no less than a debacle.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

.....there is no failure in hunting, wether you shoot something or not...you do it because you like the sport of hunting not to judge yourself on a pass fail basis..
Of course there's failure in hunting. If you shoot and miss, did you fail to hit that animal? Sounds like you did to me.

I love the sport of hunting as muchif notmore than the next guy...but I admit that.. if I set my goal on shooting that big buck that I have seen for the last 3-4 years, and I never see him in season because he out-smarted me - I failed to do what I set out to do.

I did not have a successful season.

I had a wonderful time,
I loved being back closer with nature,
I loved being back with the guys again,
I loved being away from work, traffic etc,
I loved helping buddies drag out their deer,
I loved trying to figure out where that old bruiser may be tomorrow,
I loved all the comrauderie with fellow family and friends,
I loved being in the woods an hour before first light and watch the woods awaked before me,
I loved the anticipation ofjust waiting for that bigold buck to make a mistake,
and I just loveDeer Hunting!

What is that so hard to understand?

Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Jimmy S, you base your sucess on the kill and kill alone. At least that is what your implying in this thread. There are other things that determine sucess besides a kill. You might not have seen or killed that big buck. If you failed to learn anything from hunting him. Then yes, you failed this season. If you learned from the experience, then NO your season was not a failure even though you didn't bag that big buck. There is a heck of a lot of things that make a season a complete total without a dout sucess. Simply implying that if one does not kill, then the season is a failure is just wrong. At least in my eyes. Kind of like saying if I didn't shoot a 180" class typical 10 point, I had to settle for a 150" 8, then my season was not a sucess. The words I have for that can not be said in this forum. Its not right.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 PM

I feel like a failure but don't really think I am. I just know that it wasn't my year. I would feel disappointed if I missed all the deer I wanted. If I passed on does to wait for a buck and then never got it I would be just fine with it.

Quick Reply: Let me re-phrase the "failure" question..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.