Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poaching gurrrr and Doe down!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Poaching gurrrr and Doe down!

Its been a long season for my brother this year in Kansas. He missed one nice buck with his bow. Then he arrowed one a couple of days after Christmas. I guess the shot was a bit far forward because we were not able to recover the animal. We did find 3 dead bucks within 100 yards of his deer stand though!! Man he was not happy about that. One was a nice 8 point that he missed last season. It still have velvet on the part of the rack so we think it was poached back around the frist couple of weeks os Setember. The other nice 8 point, the rack was pretty chewed up from rodents. It might have been dead since last year, I don't know what killed it. Then we found a 2 1/2 year old 9 point along a creek. We don't know what killed it either. My brother and his friend are the only ones hunting the propery and they are letting smaller bucks walk so they have bigger deer to hunt. Now he's not to happy with finding those 3 bucks dead like that. He knows what gets shot on the surrounding property as well, and the guys hunting it didn't shoot those bucks either.

Well my brother finally bagged a deer this season. Its a small doe, but it will be tastey! Shot it with a rifle yesterday at around 200 yards. Made a great shot, right through the heart! He's got 2 more tags to fill and wants to try and take2 more does off ths farm. I'm excited because now we have some deer meat! We are going to try makeing some sausage when I get back home. I'll also have some jerky meat and save some ground vension for chili and enchalidas, things like that.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Default RE: Poaching gurrrr and Doe down!

Congratulations on the season. I'm sorry to hear about the dead deer. I hate to see that as well. I rarely see dead ones like that fortunately.