Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

which GPS system do I buy?

Old 12-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Spike

Default which GPS system do I buy?

I've been looking at GPS systems and there are a bunch. It looks like Garmin and magellan are the two leaders for handheld GPS. Garmin has like 10 different kinds of handhelds and I can't see much of a difference between the most expensive and least expensive one they got. Does anybody know much about what would be a sufficient GPS. I would like to have one that is interactive with computer software (delorme topo). But other than that is there anything that great that is worth paying the big bucks for on one of the top end models?
Also, is the topo software that comes packaged with garmin any good?
Is magellan better than garmin/vice versa?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: which GPS system do I buy?

I went thru this and got the etrex legend. But when I downloaded the topos, I couldn't make them out, and state parks were blacked out (on software they are green), so I took it back and got the etrex legend Cx and very happy now and can make out the topos real nice. Bass pro had them on sale over Christmas for 250 dollars plus you send in for a 50 dollar rebate. Do yourself a favor and get the color.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Garmin etrex cx and I love it. The mapping software I have for it is Mapsource and has topo for the entire US. You can put 2 area maps onto the GPS and transfer waypoints to and from GPS to computer w/USB. I would shop around for the GPS....BPS had it for $279. I shopped around and got it online for $209. I can't remember which site I went to, but try something like Nextag or any price comparison website.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:59 PM

Garmin RINO 530. Most of the guys in my hunting group bought them this year and it is top notch. The color screen is big, the radios work and it is very easy to use. Plus there are a ton of other features on it.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

A few years back I bought a Garmin E-trex and Delorme Topo software. This combo has worked great for scouting and locating hunting spots, as well as helping me find my way out of the woods a couple of times.

The only feature I wish I had on my GPS is the electronic compass. This helps get your bearings while standing still, where normally you need to be moving in order for the GPS to show direction.

You can spend $99 - >$400 for aGPS, but you really need to ask yourself what you are using it for and if you need all the bells and whistles or just the basics.

-Rick C.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:57 AM

I started out 15 years ago with a Garmin Gps 45 , I now use the Garmin GPS 72. It is a great unit but it does not have the memory capabilities think you are looking for. But something in that series would work. Really anything as long as it is a Garmin.

MET

Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Spike

It seems like the big difference between the ones I'm interested in are the number of waypoints (some 500 and some 1000) and the amount of built in memory (24 mb to 128 mb). How much memory do you need?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mufan

It seems like the big difference between the ones I'm interested in are the number of waypoints (some 500 and some 1000) and the amount of built in memory (24 mb to 128 mb). How much memory do you need?
Well, 8Meg wasn't enough for me, but the 32M I got now is just right.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:37 PM

I am in the same boat and looking for a hand held GPS
Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Garmin. Like BC I'd suggest a colour display for the mapping feature and better detail. For hunting or fishing I suggest you look at the models that have an electronic compass feature.

Quick Reply: which GPS system do I buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.